Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I may want to balance the rotating assembly on the focus later. What parts need to be ballanced? Pistons, wristpins, rods, and what else?? I will want the car to hit 8600 rpm or so.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well why do you want to rev that high... you aren't going to see any power up there.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Are you trying to be a vtec honda?! Haha j/k bud.

I'm sure Tom would be able to answer your question.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I will make plenty of power up there, it all depends on what cams I decide to run.

No, I plan on getting into rallying. I know there are .454" gross lift cams that make power close to 9k rpm, but they aren't streetable. I am planning on building a rally car. and to stay in the beginner class, I need to run NA and under 2.4 L. This is the g5 class. I want to be pushing 200 whp on a NA motor w/ stage 5 custom cams and valvetrain. the steeda car did 200 on a zetec w/ a 13.5 CR and stage III cams. So yes, I have reasons. The other reason I am not doin a duratec is cause i'm more familiar w/ the zetec and i have parts I can loan from my car to the rally car for the event. so yes, I want an 8500 rpm + reving beast w/ over 200 whp NA for my event.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Rods, pistons, crank... and I've even seen some guys do the flywheel

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand how to balance the rods and the pistons, but how do you do the crank and flywheel??? I figured the crank, but i wouldn't know where to start!!! and how the heck do you balance a flywheel?? I mean, its circular, so how do you weigh it to determine which parts are out of balance??

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
You balance whatever you can balance and eye every detail as you should any good engine build, but the money you are going to piss away on this setup trying to get a rally reliable NA setup is far beyond anything you are going to have to spend on a reliable forced setup, which it would appear from my very limited Googling of G5 rally, is allowed.

You have mechanical issues in a rally, there is no pit. No where to limp it in to. There is a reason why rally EVOs are turbo, learn from it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wrong about the class, its Group 2, not g5. so i would have to stay NA. The steeda focus made 200 whp NA w/ stage III's so w/ custom cams, I think i will be able to make a good reliable setup. It is all going to come down to the head and the tune!! Its doable and most of the work will be done by the guys who are gonna be in my crew!! we have access to a crap load of stuff to do it w/ too.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
I too strived for the 200 whp back in the day but I can tell you that you do not have to spin that fast to make that hp, it is going to come down to crazy compression, crazier cams and an impressive tune.

The thing that you are going to have to make a decision on is do you want it streetable or not. Rally cars, by and large, are not street machines. You are probably looking at something NOT streetable.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am not looking for a streetable car. I plan to have a radical cam setup and a CR around 14:1 on 116 octane race fuel. I know that the steeda setup made that power at around 8k rpm. Also, I know about NA building. I have a NA beast right now. I know what it takes w/ the P&P, valvesprings, retainers, valves, etc. I just want to push it 1 step further for NA rallying!! Alot of it will come down to Tom tuning it too!! but I think it is doable. If I could just do the turbo class, i would be fine, but I need X amount of races completed under my belt!!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
may I suggest having tom build you a reinforced engine, like the ones with a stronger crankcase for rallying? just a suggestion....... but I knew as soon as you said you wanted to get up in that rpm range and wanted to balance everything, that it was gonna be for your rally car [thumb]

are you sure about not having a streetable car? I'm pretty sure regulations require your car to be street legal, in order to drive from stage to stage, and also if part of the stage is on the street....

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
by streetable, we mean difficulty to drive on the street. Yes, the car will be technically street legal, but w/ a stage 5 cam in it, the idle would be around 2800 rpm or so, so as you can imagine, try taking off at a light!! very difficult to feather the clutch, etc.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o, and i would LOVE to have tom build me a custom rally setup, but money is a huge issue right now. My team can't really afford much more than 2k into a car cause of all the other costs associated. travel, lodging. entrance fees into the race (1000 just for entering) transportation. Safety equipment (hans devices are 1200 for 2, and 500 for 2 hans compatable helmets) etc. I know the approximate cost, thats y I'm looking to do it all myself. Unless Tom would sponsor me!!! HeHeHe, but there is less than a 1% chance of that!!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ahh..... yeah that's true then. I didn't really think of that, but of course, the non streetable clutch is crazy lol..... ah you get what I mean [thumb]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'd love to hear a zetec revving that high, [and producing power] that'd be cool. It's totally do-able but what about the intake manifold, will it flow well enough?[cheers]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not really sure if we will go w/ a focus or not yet. It all comes down to the $$$$$. If I can get someone to donate a focus to me that would be GREAT!! but very unlikely. LOL I'm just really looking for anything we can rally in!!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
your best bet is maybe a damaged focus.... one that would require more work than the car's worth, but you'd be switching those parts out to make it rally anyway.... like for example, if airbags were deployed, so what, you can't have em in the rally car anyway, you'd need harnesses and seats anyway. so there's something..... oh right, plus rebuilding the engine anyway.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Way ahead of ya, I've been looking on craigslist, actually I went completely through it!! only found a few. And I have the sparco seats already in my car w/ 6 pt harnesses SFI approved for 2 years w/ camlock and 3 in belts which I can swap out for a few days. I already have access to the Hans helmet but no device. Weldman0730 is a certified welder and can weld in the cage for our team. I would swap suspension parts off of my car like sway bars. I don't mind dropping in another zetec motor as well if i have too. and I know how to completely strip the car anyways as I have already done it to my car i have right now!!! So a focus would be best, but we would be on a budget if we can even do it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts