Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I learned something today.
I called "vividracing.com", as they list Rota wheels for the Focus.
Now! here is the important part. Special orders don't upset them.
I was able to order the Rota grids, 16x7, 45mm, WITH the polished lip.
They can also get the ROTA RB's in the 42mm offset.
Long story short >> I have talked and shopped for the last month and was told (how many times?) that the wheels I wanted were "just not available".
Pooh!
They can also get the ROTA Slipstreams with the polished lip >>FYI<<.
NOTE: You have to call them as they don't show all the options on there web site. (We talked to Shawn who was very helpful).
Cheers! [race]

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
So did you buy the wheels? Also did they show up yet? If so, PICS PLEASE.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So did you buy the wheels? Also did they show up yet? If so, PICS PLEASE.
Yes I bought them. Wife picked them out. If Mama happy everybody happy! [pray]
They won't arrive for 6-8 weeks as there a special order. But that's OK as there for the summer tires anyway. Really wanted the RB's, but Shawn called Rota while I was on the phone and they confirmed the minimal acceptable offset for the Focus was 44mm. Here is a pic. Just want to say choices are very limited in a 16" wheel. Nuther Note: So whats with all the 40,42,38mm wheels? There for the Audi 80/90(?) series that share the same bolt pattern as the Focus. just FYI.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good info! Rotas FTW!![wrenchin]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah I got the 42mm AR1's from tirerack. They rub the fender just a bit :(
They look good though. Would a machine shop be able to shave the back of the wheels for me? What would it cost? (Don't mean to hijack)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I got the 42mm AR1's from tirerack. They rub the fender just a bit :(
They look good though. Would a machine shop be able to shave the back of the wheels for me? What would it cost? (Don't mean to hijack)
I actually looked into that for the Rota RB (yes, wanted them that much).
2 millimeters = 0.0787401575 inches (Less than a 10th). BUT! The area where you have to take it off is critical to the strength of the wheel. To visualize, its the area where the stud holes are. So you must either get a ruling from the manufacturer, or find a really (really) good machine shop dude that knows his stuff. Machining the wheel is not that expensive. Assume $25-40 per wheel depending on the wheel. (the issue is whether they have the equipment to hold the wheel, while it is being machined, WITHOUT screwing up the finish. I.E. They have to be able to do a 'reverse' mount). There is also the business with the hub and hub ring (if applicable). And you must also take into account clearance for the brakes. A good machine shop (or the manufacturer) should be able to answer all those questions. Hope that answers it! [wiggle]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I like those rims more than the Montegi rims I had, but you cant beat the steelies for winter.
Thankfully, Saint Louis has generally very mild winters (by comparison to our northern,eastern,western and southern neighbors). So I will just run the OEM wheels as they have the All Seasons mounted on them.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes I bought them. Wife picked them out. If Mama happy everybody happy! [pray]
They won't arrive for 6-8 weeks as there a special order. But that's OK as there for the summer tires anyway. Really wanted the RB's, but Shawn called Rota while I was on the phone and they confirmed the minimal acceptable offset for the Focus was 44mm. Here is a pic. Just want to say choices are very limited in a 16" wheel. Nuther Note: So whats with all the 40,42,38mm wheels? There for the Audi 80/90(?) series that share the same bolt pattern as the Focus. just FYI.
Im actually running the rota RBs in a 40mm offset and they fit fine. no rubbing whatsoever. the wheels are 16x7 with a 205/50/16 tire. im also sitting on eibach sportline springs. 2.0"F 2.2"R drop IIRC

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im actually running the rota RBs in a 40mm offset and they fit fine. no rubbing whatsoever. the wheels are 16x7 with a 205/50/16 tire. im also sitting on eibach sportline springs. 2.0"F 2.2"R drop IIRC
Buickboy said the exact same thing lyrrad3. BUT! To say they "don't rub" does not mean they 'won't rub'. The numbers are agin you unfortunatley. Buickboy was VERY kind (and thank you again if you read this) and provided me some really super pics of his RB fitment on his 07. You can see the front wheels/tires are extended outside the fender area (by about 5mm (how'bout that!)). So I asked my Wife "Is it better to look good than to feel good"? She said "It is better to feel good than to look good as long as the look is not to fugly"! So I let her pick and she opted for the Grids. Hence, we(she) will not worry when we take one of our driving tours on roads that 'need some work'. [;)]

·
Registered
399 Posts
well I think i can safely say they wont rub because they do not stick out past the fenders. When strategically parking my car at the entrance of a driveway, it fully compresses the suspension on certain corners of the car. I purposely did this to observe the rubbing potential. Under full compression, while the tire is sticking a good amount in the wheel well, there is about a space about the thickness of a CD between the edge of the tire and the fender. I even tried this on full lock both left and right. I also had a friend drive my car so that I may hear the rub (if any) during this full compression rub testing. I am fairly confident that I wont rub, so in other words, they look good and feel good.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Its awesome that youre finally getting a set of Rotas! Honestly, the grids had my eye for the longest time before i saw the RB's so very nice choice [thumb]

Reactions: S0C0nFused

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lyrrad3 >> Part of the decision process that you are not aware of was that, Like 'Russian Roulette', For me. Not a question of if, a question of when! When they did rub, regardless of circumstances (Oh look Honey! just like the Badlands Baha), I would be in really BIG trouble! [ohcrap] I have been pestering Buickboy for the last 2 months for pics and such. And as I said, he agrees with you. But Rota, and other manufacturers do not agree. They said 44mm is the minimum offset for the Focus. It then was no longer a 'discussion', more like a line in the sand for me (And if it ever becomes apparent I get a tad anal on the engineering specs, well, now ya have some insight! [;)] )
Buickboy >> Thanks! At least I got them with a polished lip. Must admit they should be a breeze to keep clean (as compared to the stockers). But you better keep your locknuts on cause if I see your car, them wheels is gone! [}:)] (J/K) And per your 'other' post somewhere. I should be able to go that 'other' .5 > 1" lower at some point you said you wanted. I better let the new springs get a little dirty 1st before I broach that subject! [chair]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats a bummer, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay?
Your gonna make me blush! [bath] ~$800 with tax and shipping.
But. like I had mentioned. emailed lots of places, and they were sayin pretty much the same thing. No,no! Can't get them. Vivid just said they would be a special order so delivery would be delayed. No fuss! Polished lip? no problem. Any color Rota makes them in. 45mm? No problem.
Vivid does not seem to have the problems other vendors do. So, maybe it was worth it? [wiggle]

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
i've had my eye on vivid racing as well and was actually planning to order the exact same wheels you did! let us know when they come in (it should be with just enough time for me to special order a set before spring [:)]

1 - 20 of 63 Posts