Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, for who have used roof tape instead of dyonmat.... due to the money situation... what kind of tape would be a good 1?

i came across this tape for 3.55 each.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just save yourself the trouble and money. Get real deadener. While peel n seal or protecto wrap seem to be viable alternatives, they just end up making a mess, falling off or simply not working.

For a good sound deadener for less, check out Raamat at www.raamaudio.com

Don't use Fatmat or Edead v1. Both of those are just rebadged roofing materials, and pretty much useless.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just save yourself the trouble and money. Get real deadener. While peel n seal or protecto wrap seem to be viable alternatives, they just end up making a mess, falling off or simply not working.

For a good sound deadener for less, check out Raamat at www.raamaudio.com

Don't use Fatmat or Edead v1. Both of those are just rebadged roofing materials, and pretty much useless.
I actually did my trunk in Protecto Wrap. A year later, with a hot summer and cold winter having passed, I can say it mostly works. It worked very well for the bottom and sides of my trunk. However, the heat caused it to peal off the deck lid pretty quickly and make a big mess. I also wouldn't use it for anything besides a trunk, because a faint smell shows up on really hot days. I redid the deck lid with Dyna Mat and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually did my trunk in Protecto Wrap. A year later, with a hot summer and cold winter having passed, I can say it mostly works. It worked very well for the bottom and sides of my trunk. However, the heat caused it to peal off the deck lid pretty quickly and make a big mess. I also wouldn't use it for anything besides a trunk, because a faint smell shows up on really hot days. I redid the deck lid with Dyna Mat and haven't had any problems.

with this being said, im not going to do it in roof tape, just because im going to be a daddy and don't want to expose these kind of fumes to my baby girl.

thanks for input everyone....

[lockdance]you can lock this thread now!![lockdance]

·
Registered
259 Posts
with this being said, im not going to do it in roof tape, just because im going to be a daddy and don't want to expose these kind of fumes to my baby girl.

thanks for input everyone....

[lockdance]you can lock this thread now!![lockdance]
That smell will occur even with some of the name brands. It's the asphalt in it that smells. It's not toxic, but I can understand your concern. FWIW, Dynamat doesn't smell.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Butyl mats in general don't smell. These include Dynamat Extreme, Secondskin, Raamat, newer versions of eDead and a few others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts