Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods move this wherever suitable, please.

So I started the roof rack delete on my 04 wagon. I got to the last screw and the threader thingy, whatever it is, in the roof was spinning in place. After trying to shim it with no avail, I decided to put the one rack back on. First screw I try to put back in, it torqued weird and made the threader loosen and spin. So now I got 2 screws with the same problem.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, if there is a fix for it, etc. Really crapped my night.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

For the one without a screw in it, you should be able to tighten it in the roof.

Bolt, nut & washers to fit needed. Nut on bolt, followed by at least a couple washers, then screw that into the roof riv-nut after lubing the threads.

Hold the bolt while turning the nut toward the roof (unscrewed from bolt direction). This pulls the bolt & the BACK of the nut tighter against the roof metal, while the washers press on the outside part of the rivet.

Tightens it up, then loosen & remove.

IF you can get the stuck one to turn in the nut at all, you can tighten that nut by screwing it IN with the rack still in place to tighten that nut before backing it out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Clarifying what the "threader thingy" is with a picture will help out immensly. When all else fails, grab a torch lol

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clarifying what the "threader thingy" is with a picture will help out immensly. When all else fails, grab a torch lol
I'm talking about the small objects in the holes for the rack screws. The threaded holes. They loosened and started rotating in place with the screw

·
Registered
609 Posts
Basically what you are saying is what the roof rack screws thread into came loose. You can try to see if the "nuts" for them are accessible from inside the car so you can perhaps try to put some locking pliers on them to try to get them out, probably would have to remove the headliner to do so.

I haven't taken the roof rack off my car, nor do I plan to (especially since I just put the cross bars on) nor have taken the headliner out to see what they actually thread into. What I listed above would be my first thought, probably a pressed in or "welded" nut in the roof panel came loose causing the screw(s) to spin endlessly, hopefully with enough sticking down to get locking pliers onto them.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. I will see if I can find how to pull back the headliner to access that. For now, I've got one rack off and the other on with 2 screws half out. Ugh.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Must be some crazy cross wind now haha. Still looking...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Old thread reply from HotRodWagon.

Be careful when removing the screws to get the rack off. The piece the screws go into tend to spin. So very gently torque them out. If they spin, you will have to secure them so you can get the screw out. Once the rack is removed, you will encounter the same problem reinstalling the screws. I suggest a little shot of oil on in the holes might make this easier. If you are going to body color paint them,

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Haha guess you figured it out. I don't think you need to go under the headliner. How did you get it off?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gotta slow down & think when you start getting frustrated, ripping that apart could have been neater IF you decided to do it on purpose.

Tap down to put it lower carefully. Ball peen hammer held on the hole, then tap that with a soft hammer (block of wood is enough if you don't have one) just to get it lower instead of sticking up.

Metal is mangled, but the next size larger riv-nut might still work to save it as a rack mounting point.

Paint the scratch to prevent rust, when that's dry you can tape over for temporary sealing.

DON'T make a mess with silicone. Won't work well & you make a mess that will make any other repair difficult.

Yes, it's a problem - don't make it worse by doing more without thinking it through.

Copied my comment from the other thread so it won't get lost.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
That's a good idea to use the next size up riv-nut I didn't think of that.

I also used some body match paint to cover a scratch on my hood so it won't rust anymore.

It probably would get lost in the other thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts