Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm just wondering if any of you have installed a roof rack? If so, what option did you go with? Any installation tips?

I'm not a fan of the clamp on types (like Thule, etc) because I prefer an OEM look with side rails...and Thule racks are $$$ anyway! I rarely ever use a rack, but I really like the way they look on a hatchback. So I have been doing some looking and I found one that I like, but it requires drilling through the metal...which I'll do if I have to, but if there were an option that would allow me to mount on the composites on either side of the roof I might like that option better. Unfortunately it appears we don't get the little access panels for mounting like they do in the UK.

Anyway, this is the one that has my interest. Any thoughts, tips, recommendations, etc? (edit: I can't post a link yet due to my low post count, so if you search for "Perrycraft® - DynaSport Roof Rack System" you can see it). And if someone with a higher post count could post the link it might make it easier for others to offer advice and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Thule set up. Really easy, video link below to help you out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPezColFnk
I appreciate that, but I'm really interested in the OEM look. I can't add a link yet because I don't have a high enough post count, but the one I want (which I named in my OP) requires drilling. I love the way it looks and I like the price too (Thule & Yakima are so expensive!)...but I've never installed one that required drilling so I'm interested in learning if anyone has done it, what to watch for, etc.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I appreciate that, but I'm really interested in the OEM look. I can't add a link yet because I don't have a high enough post count, but the one I want (which I named in my OP) requires drilling. I love the way it looks and I like the price too (Thule & Yakima are so expensive!)...but I've never installed one that required drilling so I'm interested in learning if anyone has done it, what to watch for, etc.
Trust me Im an OEM guy too but would never drill for a rack. Used only OEM/OEM plus parts on my VW GTI which had the option for OEM racks as an upgrade add on. Never seen an OEM rack/base bars for ford on the MK3 but..Thule is the best you are going to get as for fit and finish to OEM. Got my set used but in great condition thule set for a great price... need to check the FS section here, FB marketplace and CL.

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me Im an OEM guy too but would never drill for a rack. Used only OEM/OEM plus parts on my VW GTI which had the option for OEM racks as an upgrade add on. Never seen an OEM rack/base bars for ford on the MK3 but..Thule is the best you are going to get as for fit and finish to OEM. Got my set used but in great condition thule set for a great price... need to check the FS section here, FB marketplace and CL.

Good luck
I believe you and just to clarify, I couldn't find an OEM rack either...so by OEM look what I mean is something that looks stock because it's drilled and attached with screws. I'm just not a fan of the way those aftermarket racks look. And like I stated in my OP, I likely will never use it. I just like how they look on the car. I ended up pulling the trigger on the one I mentioned. I still can't post a link so if you search Perrycraft® - DynaSport Roof Rack System you'll see what I bought.

And of course once I have it installed I'll be sure to post pics!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Installation complete

Well I got it installed today. I wish the side rails were a little longer, but overall I'm pleased. One thing to note since this is not an OEM rack...the way the roof is shaped (wider at the front) makes the side rails look like they come in a little even though they're straight. I don't think most people would even notice if they weren't told. (I don't know why the forum rotated some of these images, but they aren't on my laptop that way and I don't know how to fix them here so my apologies). The rack I bought: https://www.prolineracks.com/perrycraft-dynsport-roof-racks.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Crazy, You did it!!!! Congrats!

What do you plan using the rack for? Only way I see that working is clamp on attachments, unless there is channel I don't see...

I use mine for bikes and snowboards/skis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it seem sturdy? I would want to use it for bikes/snowboards/kayak.
Oh yeah, absolutely...it's solid & has a 75lb rating. I could use it for those things but I don't do any of that stuff. I used to kayak when I lived in Florida and I absolutely would put kayaks on this rack without hesitation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only way I see that working is clamp on attachments, unless there is channel I don't see...
I missed that part. The cross bars are fully movable, but like most OEM racks you'd typically want a specialized attachment.

I mean technically these types of racks are "pinning racks".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I added mounting points under the rain gutters on mine so I could use Yakima bars with landing pads. A lot of work, but I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks! I'm not sure I like the look of those or not but the concept is definitely spot on. Great work! I'm thinking the front bar looks too forward for the roof line or the rack itself is too chunky. Perhaps the round bars you mentioned in the blog takes away that illusion.

Myself, I've been looking for a set of used Yakima Q-Clips for my Focus so I can use my existing Q-Towers. They are crazy expensive to buy new; the rack business is certainly a "rack-ett"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did space them farther than the where Q-Clips would go; better for load stability and avoid hitting my hatch on bikes up top. And yes, the Landing Pad 11's are bigger than they really need to be. I think they now make Landing Pad 22's that are a little lower profile, but I already had these for my other car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts