Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Let us know what you find out.
At least, I'd sure like to know, as I'm going to need bike and ski hauling capability on occasion.

The Yakima MSRP for just the rack itself (Q Towers, Q Stretch kit, and 48" bar) comes in at $321.
Then, you need all the other components to attach the bikes.

Fortunately, I've already got cross-bars and ski holders.
However, the bars would be the ones from my Bronco at 60" long.
Might have just a tad bit of overhang with those.[eek]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
No shipping? I don't want to have to go pick it up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just finished setting up my bike rack with some Thule feet I got. The fit kit works great but I ended up tapeing some felt onto the parts that go under the weather stripping because it looked like the door rubs on it. Just thought some one might like to know before they get started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roof Rack - Kona / Euro

I'm looking for the ultimate performance mod. for a 2002 SVTF. http://www.svtownersassociation.com/svtoaforums/showthread.php?threadid=1120&highlight=rack

A little googl'ing kicked up this p/n: Kona Focus ZX3 Rack, Ford Part # YS4Z-6155100-AA .

The rack is not so bad: http://hlfadvertising.com/multimedia/misc/FOCUS_pop.pdf .

A little more effort found British American Transfer: http://www.batinc.net/ . See page 8 of this file: http://65.109.103.142/files/fext.pdf .

These are almost certainly the same product. My question, as a SVT & Focus Newbie, has to do with the attachment. Has anyone used the Kona rack on an SVT?

Alternatively, has anyone ordered the Yakima Roof Kit from Ford: P/N YS4Z5455100AA : http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/detail.asp?product_id=2538&GID= .

I have seen the Yakima product advertised as a "complete" kit including locks for less than $250. That's a coup for the towers, clips to match the roof line, short-roof adapter, and locks. The Ford price seems to be ~$330.

Seems I have sent a lot of kids to college buying Yakima products. I'd like to try something new!

Thanks.

4/25/2004 Addendum

This afternoon I saw a Kona Focus with the factory roof rack and stopped to have a closer look at the rack. I believe it is made by JAC: http://www.jacproducts.com/products/roofracks/index.htm .
The rear of the rack is bolted to the frame/sheet metal in two holes to the outside of the hatchback hinges. On the 2002 SVTF the holes appear to be partly there... prior to final assembly, it appears that at least one piece of sheet metal (on each side) has the hole. Open your hatch and see if there are some circles that look almost like spot welds, but are not in fact. The rack looks clean enough... to me. It does not distract a lot from the appearance of the car.

I haven't much of an idea on how the trim comes apart at the back of the roof/hatchback interface. Seems like a good idea to remove the trim and epoxy a washer and nut on the inside of the sheet metal after drilling the requisite holes.

Maybe the holes are there on the ZX3? Or maybe it depends on the date of manufacture? Reminds me of the cabin air filter... Ford could do so much better with attention to detail. Instead, Yakima gets a Ford Part No.? Bizarre.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Bat Inc. has a european roof rack that fits like a glove. Very easy to install and remove if necessary. We added two Rocky Mount trays (Pretty blue ones to accent the CD silver). They bolted right up without any adapters etc. The Bat rack is strong and lots cheaper than a Thule or Yakima at 134.50 (trays were extra but Rocky Mounts are cheaper than Thule and Yakima as well)

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Thanks for the info, fogman and Geezer.[thumb]

Wow. $134 for that rack at Bat Inc. (page 8) looks like a pretty good deal.
I'll have to check for those mounting holes you're talking about.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Geezer said:
Bat Inc. has a european roof rack that fits like a glove. Very easy to install and remove if necessary. We added two Rocky Mount trays (Pretty blue ones to accent the CD silver). They bolted right up without any adapters etc. The Bat rack is strong and lots cheaper than a Thule or Yakima at 134.50 (trays were extra but Rocky Mounts are cheaper than Thule and Yakima as well)
Geezer:

How was your Focus equipped for the BAT rack. The Kona I looked at had two small allen bolts (one on each side) that attached the rack b/w the hatch and the roof. My Focus has no holes for these bolts, but would it not be neat to find there are threads ready to use if I drill my own holes.

In other words, will you please describe what was required to install the BAT rack?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
To be honest I have not seen a Kona rack so I can only comment on the BAT rack. But from what you describe they sound the same. The ZX3 has two holes above each sidedoor which are located under the door seal. These holes have plastic caps which are easily removed. The side mounts attach at these points.

The rear holes are next to the rear hatch hinges. These are covered with a very thin metal or body filler and painted the body color. You poke these holes out. There are threaded nuts already affixed behind the holes. The rear rack mounts attach at these locations with the provided bolts. The instructions that come with the rack are pretty good and help you locate the holes. I have to assume the SVT would have the same "stealth" holes as well. I bet BAT Inc. could confirm this for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by Geezer
To be honest I have not seen a Kona rack so I can only comment on the BAT rack. But from what you describe they sound the same. The ZX3 has two holes above each sidedoor which are located under the door seal. These holes have plastic caps which are easily removed. The side mounts attach at these points.
Okay. The 2002 SVTF has these two holes above each sidedoor. I removed one of the plastic plugs with a Phillips screwdriver and saw the threads. Excellent. I'll remove the other three and verify the front is rack-ready before ordering the BAT rack (which is almost certainly the Kona rack by JAC).

The rear holes are next to the rear hatch hinges. These are covered with a very thin metal or body filler and painted the body color. You poke these holes out. There are threaded nuts already affixed behind the holes. The rear rack mounts attach at these locations with the provided bolts. The instructions that come with the rack are pretty good and help you locate the holes. I have to assume the SVT would have the same "stealth" holes as well. I bet BAT Inc. could confirm this for you.
I poked out one of the "stealth" holes using a small pick. It was filled with body filler (or some sort of soft material?) and easy to clean out. The threads in the rear hole looked less than fine... very coarse... I guess there is enough material there for a bolt to "bite" or thread into tightly. The BAT roof rack seems very workable.

Any comments on noise? The Kona rack (that I saw) had two fairings (?) similar to the attached image presumably making the ride quieter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I just registered here nad also just bought the Bat rack off of ebay. It didn't come with bolts to mount it to the car tho, was wondering if anyone could let me know what size and length the screws are. Thanks

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For what its worth, the BAT rack we received was made in Germany and it must have been on the slow boat because it took a while to ge here. Noise wise it's certainly not worse than any other racks we've had. It's very light weight (all aluminum) very rigid and once the bolts are removed one person can easily lift it off even with trays attached. We remove it for trips and around town driving. We never did that with our thules and yakima because they were heavy and the clamp systems were a pain in the butt. Once you put these on you really didn't want the hassle of taking them off.

For those of you looking for the rear holes they are located about two inches from the hatch strut support mount (just above where the strut attaches to the car and slightly toward the center of the car).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ford of Europe Rack ordered from BAT

Geezer said:
For what its worth, the BAT rack we received was made in Germany and it must have been on the slow boat because it took a while to ge here. Noise wise it's certainly not worse than any other racks we've had. It's very light weight (all aluminum) very rigid and once the bolts are removed one person can easily lift it off even with trays attached. We remove it for trips and around town driving. We never did that with our thules and yakima because they were heavy and the clamp systems were a pain in the butt. Once you put these on you really didn't want the hassle of taking them off.

For those of you looking for the rear holes they are located about two inches from the hatch strut support mount (just above where the strut attaches to the car and slightly toward the center of the car).
Well, seems simple enough. I asked some questions of BAT and learned the following (or heard the following anyway): ZX3 and SVT owners go through the same drill per holes in the rear of the vehicle. Easy enough to do. Knock out body-filler! ZX5 owners and SVT 5-door owners have no holes in the rear. Later model SVTs (and others?) may not be rack-ready as the manufacturing process became more "North-Americanized" and eliminated this jewel of a design. I'm reasonably happy... esp. 'cause I was not looking for the "permanence" of the Yakima/Thule gigs (the pain is real).

BAT was helpful. I suppose a follow-up is in order once the rack arrives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I just started looking for a bike rack, and my question is what other parts are needed to actually mount the bike? I mean if you buy the rack from BAT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mr03focus said:
So I just started looking for a bike rack, and my question is what other parts are needed to actually mount the bike? I mean if you buy the rack from BAT.
Call BAT Inc. I asked about seeing an installation guide and a list of part nos. and was persuaded to sit tight and all the goods would arrive... the installation would be near effortless... and if there were any questions or concerns, everything would be worked out.

Specifically, my concern was per the rear mounting points. Surely the kit includes all necessary hardware for the rack, incl. locks and keys. At the Ford dealer today, I asked for a list of part nos. for the hardware, but no luck so far. Just in case.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The kit is complete an includes all the items fogman mentioned to install and lock the rack to the car. You have to puchase an actual bike mount whether its a tray, an upright mount, etc. BAT does not carry these. Rocky Mount, Yakima, Thule all make bike mounts that will fit the BAT rack. Most popular ski rack adapters also fit on the BAT rack. We have a yakima ski rack but needed to buy the rectanglar bar adapters (Yakima uses round cross bars) to mount on the. Yakima and Thule make these conversion kits so their ski racks can be interchanged.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
OK, found the front mounts (top pic).[:D]
I only see one location that looks like it could be a hole for the rear mount though.
(noted with yellow arrow in lower pic)
Is that about the right area in the back where I should be looking?
Thanks for the "megaresearch" you've done, Geezer and fogman.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 64 Posts