Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been driving my PZEV all over Orange County like a good cruiser that I am, and I've noticed that making fast turns is not the luxury it should be. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for making tight comfortable turns at medium-high speeds. What should be changed first? Shocks, springs, coils, tires, etc. What product line would give me the best bang for my buck? Give me a medium price range cause I ain't one of the rich folks. Thanks in advance.

BTW - Just like to thank everyone for being so open with the Focus knowledge and stuff. I've learned so much and saved a lot from this forum. *Hats off to the creators of the site*

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The first and foremost to change are the tires. Some dry performance stickies are the first thing to replace. I like 215/40 if you go 17 wheels. After that, the shocks/struts should be replaced, and the springs after that (prefferably at the same time to save labor costs) After that, new sway bar, stress bar. I plan on ecsta 712's if I go cheap, or TOYO 4's, or pirelli's, or falken's, for tires. I have progress springs now and will get a full alignment and eibach pro damper kit when it gets warm out.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
shocks before springs? Everyone I know does springs first. Get springs & shocks at the same time. A nice set of coilovers will be really expensive. Don't bother getting the sway bar before springs & shocks/coils.
Tires are nice but I recommend springs & shocks first. I recommend tires with lightweight wheels but that's costly.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Infra3sv said:
shocks before springs? Everyone I know does springs first. Get springs & shocks at the same time. A nice set of coilovers will be really expensive. Don't bother getting the sway bar before springs & shocks/coils.
Tires are nice but I recommend springs & shocks first. I recommend tires with lightweight wheels but that's costly.
You'd be suprised how just performance shocks alone do. Everyone who races competitiavely in stock classes in autox (not me) are allowed to change shocks, and they do so by putting some Konis are similiar, and it makes a world of difference for them.

Honestly, I feel that a tires and a spring/shock combo would be best for him. Then fine tune it with a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
466 Posts
They sell some extremely cheap coil-overs on e-bay. I'm not too sure of the quality though. Do a search on "focus springs." Has anyone purchased these yet?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
<disco stu>Back away, not-today, sexy lady</disco stu>

I'd stay away from those.

·
Registered
65 Posts
get everything man struts, shocks, springs, coils, front and rear sway bars and you will handle like a champ.....better than a SVT FOCUS

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
dudemanzx3 said:
They sell some extremely cheap coil-overs on e-bay. I'm not too sure of the quality though. Do a search on "focus springs." Has anyone purchased these yet?
Stay Away from those! Bad news! A freind of mine had them and they were so stiff that he lost control on the freeway. Real bad quality!

Look at it this way. Good coil overs are $800+. So tell me how they can sell coil overs for 39.99? And be a good quailty. And remember suspension isn't a performance mod. You buy cheap performace mods you get less power, but you buy cheap suspension you could kill your self or someone else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love the current setup I have which is the H&R cupkit mounted on some Kumho rubber and the FS strut bar....I can take tight turns FAST and it just hugs it like its on rails.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I gotta get new shocks and struts because this thing is bouncing around like a mad rabbit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts