Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys dont know if anyone has done a roll cage in a ZX3 but i just got done with a integra and now my car is next. Going to build a six point. Loop behind the front seats two down bars through the side panels next to the back seats and two bars going from loop between doors and seats and turning down infront of front seats. As soon as my material comes in I will start taking pics. Oh and this car is my every day driver and put my two kids in the back seat so we will see how this works.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Can't wait! Def inerested to see how it will turn out! Please include some pics of the build and instAll too...LOL maybe even a descriptive how to?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sounds cool and all but I have to ask why? I mean unless you're tracking the car alot or X-cross it seems horribly inconvenient for a DD and seems like it might be a safety hazard with the kids. Reguardless, I look forward to a write up and pics [thumb]

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^agreed

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^X3. Cages have a purpose if you're tracking/x-crossing the car, but pose a HUGE risk to all occupants as a DD. Unless you're all wearing helmets, a roll cage in a DD is VERY unsafe as it puts steel tubing closer to your head/body when you get in an accident. I'd hate to think what would happen if one of the kids in the backseat were to contact one of those bars.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay okay i know what your all saying and i have taken it all into the thought and placment of the bars. so we will see. And this is main for a effect for showing the car. so its a wow factor. And it looks coooool.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
How much is the "wow" factor worth though? Like you have to think about both your safetly and your passenger's safety.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wouldnt do it in a DD; now, if you still wanna do it, ill donate my zx3 for u to do it !!! lol
Good luck
Rich

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since it's just for the the WOW factor, you could just use painted PVC pipe and cover it with lots of roll bar padding to cover up the fittings - LOL. Seriously, no hate intended from my post, just thinking about the kid's safety. You can make the choice to bash your head against the roll bar, but they can't.......

I have a cage in my Focus, but the only thing in the back seat is air.

yes, I'm a pic post whore.....

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Seriously put in some money if you must do it for harnesses, padding and helments for all occupants
a roll bar hurts like hell if you bump it.

Also what type of material are you using to build it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well you guys are helping. Just to let you know the cage in going to be a bolt in. And the two down bars in the back around my kids will come out when not showing. Im going to use 1 5/8OD X.120 wall tubing and it can be certified if i want it to be but no need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We run a bolt in autopower bar in both of our focus, with both run on the track.

The gold car had no back seat or pretty much other interior at that time. We have since started turning the car back into a street car.

Our other focus a silver one runs the same roll bar, but retains the full interior.

To get the cage in and the interior is quite a pain in the rear. First you have to remove the rear door panels and b-pillar trim, rear seats and peel back the carpet.
Now you can actually install the bar into the car
and drill the holes

After doing this a few times, in other cars too, I suggest you sit the bar in the car and get it lined up first.
Once lined up drill one hole in one leg of the main hoop, install a bolt and just snug it up.
Now drill 1 hole in the other main leg and pop in a bolt and snug it
Drill 1 hole in 1 rear leg and snug
then the last leg and snug.
Now nothing will move on you and you can drill the rest of the holes and torque all the bolts down properly.

Now we can put the door panels back in, but first you have to cut a relief in them so they will fit around the rear legs. It's a real pain in the rear to wiggle them into place. You can then pop on the B pillar trim.

The rear seats are fun. You have to put the back part in first and bolt it down. The seat back has to be upright because it wont fold down with the cage in the way. After fighting with that for a good hour or so, you can carefully cut your carpet so it will lay back down. I put a slit from the edge and then cut around the bar. Now lay the carpet and put the back seat bottom back in.

Plan a whole weekend to get the job done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, no pictures of the full interior with the bar. It is a VERY tight fit at the front upper part of the door panels. The B pillar trim piece needs to be wiggeled in, it's a tight fit too.
Just fighting to get the rear seats in will take some time. Our very early 00 ZX3 had the recall on the back seat, and because of how everything mounts, I wasnt able to reinstall the recall parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts