Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I'm going to keep track of all the things I do to my car through this thread. This is my first American car (life is hard and most of the time I've only owned Japanese/Korean because I could afford to maintain them), so far I haven't had problems that would say this is my last time having/owning one. I really like my little black Focus. I've had the car since around December of last year, as the result of me being hit as I was coming back home from Downtown Portland. The vehicle I owned at the time was totaled due to the incident.

My car is a 2000 Focus SE in Black w/ a manual transmission (All cars I've owned, except for one have all been manuals).

When I bought it:

Recent:

As of August 2014 I bought and put in a replacement fender liner for the driver side. LED bulbs in the interior over head light, front side markers and in the trunk. I like them, it was just a random thing I decided to do. Also I got a big freaking original antenna and base to go where the missing and broken antenna/base were.

Here's a few things I've done to my car so far:

A decent tune up - Spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter.

New stereo HU (JVC KD-X250BT)

Front Passenger Bearing

Passenger side engine mount (it rattled the car so badly)

Things that I'm doing soon:

Front driver side bearing (The other side went bad as soon as the other had been fixed. I only enjoyed quite driving for about a couple months). This was one of my many orders that I do from Amazon, I figured it's got decent reviews, so why not. Well I've noticed the actual bearing doesn't have a magnetic side for the ABS to properly work...am I wrong? Who knows, I'm going to a parts store this week to confirm my suspicions.

New clutch and flywheel going in soon! (flywheel is still en-route)

Trying some different things I've never done to a car...turkey baster for doing a simple power steering flush (still not too sure about it) and Seafoam!!!! Well I've heard all sorts of things about Seafoam, but I guess it's worth a shot.

The main story of me and this car is that I'm trying everything and anything to keep it doing what it does best DD'ing me all day, everyday. I'm no expert mechanic, but I always try before I give up. So when you see something in this thread, it's the little victories and things that make me feel proud of what I can accomplish. I've always loved cars and even though I don't own a Ferrari or a fancy car, I always give the most care to the car I own. I'll try to find and post pictures of my other vehicles so that I can share with everyone my little driving history and the many platforms (engines, nuances, quirks) I've had to learn over the years.

Things I want to get:

New set of black headlights http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Ford-Focus-Headlights-Headlamps-Pair-Set-Left-LH-Right-RH-/370877395406?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFocus%7CSubmodel%3ASVT&hash=item565a03f1ce&vxp=mtr

a Bra :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lebra-Hood-Protector-Mini-Mask-Bra-Fits-Ford-Focus-2000-2004-/201013637938?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecd58b332&vxp=mtr OR http://www.ebay.com/itm/LeBra-45294-01-Hood-Guard-/161320135587?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item258f6deba3&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
proper maintenance is the key! one of my focuses is a sedan and it has a bit over 220k miles.. only repairs have been maintenance, original engine, tranny, etc.. good luck bud!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So hopefully all of this will be going in soon. Luk OEM replacement flywheel, Exedy clutch and a new hub/bearing for the front drivers side.

I also got the 5 inch backing plate that I needed for my Harbour Freight special DA polisher.

Seems like I'm mostly collecting items and not putting them, but I'm hoping work is going to calm down this coming week and I can get started with some of my projects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took a trip today to get some new wheels and tires.

After a nice drive I ended up with this set of new tires on 16 five spoke OEM alloys from an 05 Focus SE.

They all went into the back seat area (with the seats down of course) and are now waiting to get a cleaning and likely a different color shade. I'm not sure yet which route to go, plastidip or rattle can. Black will be the color of choice - flat or gloss? That is the question.

I'll need to get new center caps (is that the name?), because the guy I bought them from didn't have them. EBay or junkers or FF?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few things have changed

So here's the list of items I have done to my car in the last 3 months or gotten to add to the pile.

I had a bad bearing on the rear passenger side drum, so that had get sorted.

The offending item, also I learned something about the car...abs sensor (the little ring on the outside), don't forget to transfer that one to the new drum.

After that was out with the old and in with the new (to me)

As you can see, the wheels were missing the center caps (which were a pain to find and get in the end), so I went first to see the junkers, which bared no fruit. Though I did get a few things that were missing or broken for my car [:D]

oh and before I forget, the old rims and tires were sold a couple days later. Which was awesome as the already cheap rims and (practically new) tires became even less of an expense (wife was happy).

The center caps were in the end bought from Ebay and came out to be less than $20 for them, not bad I guess, as most other places and even sellers on the site had them for a lot more than that. For the curious I searched the junk yard with a template, then I looked at the different sizes online from other after market options, but what ended up leading me to the find was searching "focus chrome center caps" in google. Oddly enough that's what did the trick, as I recalled seeing other focuses with that type of center cap. The official part number for the center cap is 2M51-1000-AA.

no more holes!

I also got a rear dome light from a wagon, which I will be doing a step-by-step how to install :)

There was a also another score, with a pair of headlights, which I'm taking apart and painting black (the trim) and hopefully eventually I'll retrofit them when the funds are right.

On the mean time though, I went ahead and started using my DA polisher. The first attempt, were sanding and polishing/sealing my headlights. Which I must say, came out pretty spiffy [twothumbs]

I have done 2 others sets of headlights after that (co-workers/friends), which I'm really starting to like.

while I was at it (well more like a week or so later) I decided to start patching up some of the paint chips on the front of my hood (yeah yeah! - ice cube voice). Sanded the rust and got it ready for primer, but then the rain came and stopped at the primer part, so my plans are on hold, but at least the metal is not exposed anymore. I did order from amazon a paint matching black and clear set of touch up pens, they just need to wait for the day it is nice and sunny.

After that I decided to try my luck on polishing a body panel, so I did the front passenger side fender (it came out nice). Though, the weather stopped me at that point and also I got distracted as I got my six-pack Plasti Dip in black from amazon.

After that I decided to give a shot to the http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Shortening_the_stock_Antenna, which gave me an issue at the end as the tip on my (replacement) antenna split in half- when I originally bought the car antenna base was broken and was missing the antenna, bought the replacement from a dude who was parting out his car locally. Anyways, a trip to my corner hardware store and $.20 later, I had my replacement set. A bit of silicone (or silly-cone) and the new tip fit and looks like it was meant to be there from the get go.

and that's pretty much it so far, besides a couple small things here and there.

What's next...I went and bought some Eibach Sportlines that were really cheap locally. Also, the clutch and flywheel need to go in, as well as cleaning up the look of the brakes. So the list keeps growing [driving]

·
Registered
293 Posts
looks great man keep up the good work btw i just bought a 05 focus wagon with 310k miles and it runs like a top was very well taken care of! these cars can last forever. i like the black wheels you did is their window tint in the future mod list?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks great man keep up the good work btw i just bought a 05 focus wagon with 310k miles and it runs like a top was very well taken care of! these cars can last forever. i like the black wheels you did is their window tint in the future mod list?
Very nice, I wish to have a wagon as well. Did you get a killer deal? thank you btw, I do really like how my wheels came out. I'm not sure if I will do tint, I may, but I have to fix the rear passenger side window as it is currently stuck. I'm still on the fence though if I will get it tinted, as I will have a fully blacked out car. From what I know, it seems cops like to pull over blacked out cars to make sure tint is legal, between other things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts