Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looking for a pair of 10" sub for a while and it has come down to the Alpine E-type and the Rockford Punch because of their low prices. Which ones should I get? Are there any other low priced subs out there?

·
Registered
838 Posts
it depends on the sound you want. the alpine has a criper sound compared to the MTX of the same type. the rockfords is a sub that when people drive next to you they hear it. it is a real deep thumping sound to them. I have the one step up from the punches and I love them . You don't need that much power, put you base seekers on a high treble and let your subs do the rest. that my opinion though.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
for quality but cheap priced subs check out edesignaudio.com, their k series are great sq subs and cost the least, the o series is a basic bare bones spl (loud) sub, and the a series is pure spl, very beafy, but they get expensive as you move from the k to o to a, the k series has great sq subs, the kx series are the bare bones of the k series but i've never hear dit before. They make qualtiy products there though, wouldn't surprise me if it was just as good as the others. ED subs don't take much power to get going either.

k series 10": $125
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/10k.htm

kx series 10": $75
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/10kx.htm

I've got to disagree with coastie35 partly though. The accuracy and "punch" of a sub can differ when both in a sealed box, but gererally when a sub is really loud it's not only the sub, it's the enclosure that it's in. sealed is mainly for sq (sound quality) while ported is mainly for spl. Bandpass boxes are too difficult to build correctly but they can yeild the best sq, but as i said, it's very hard.

- Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best bang for your buckis going to be ROCKFORD FOSGATE>>>hands-down. there is no doubt in my mind that they are the most durable subs on the market. They can withstand years of abuse and keep asking for more. Fosgate IS the way to go. I have 2 "12 HE series in my focus and they absolutly rock. If you go with Fosgate, you will not be dissapointed.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
personally i think you can get better for the amount of money. a single A series elemental sub would own two he's in my opinion, given the right power and enclosure of course. soem phoenix gold ti12's at about $95 a peice shipped would own them also. the xmax is 18mm. both can take much more power too if you look at the ratings. the he's have an xmax less than 13 mm i think.

- Scott

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I hate the Rockford Fosgate brand although I am a big Lightning Audio fan. I have heard nothing but good things about the Element designs subs. Sa_pyro_ne touts them as a great product and I have heard others say the same. I, personally, plan on going with the o series 12" from them. Another great sounding sub that is not too expensive and sounds great are the PR series from Memphis. The 10 inchers will beat you silly yet sound sonically magnificent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
rockford and alpine subs...ha what crap...u want quality get JL they have the best subs and amps and not to pricey. i payed 950 for 300/4 amp 500/1 amp and 12' w6v2. and the shit rips ...JL gives u true rms power, not the bullshit u see at circuit city , best buy, etc. i luv when i see a 1000 watt amp for less than 200...you'll be lucky if that thing gives u 300 true watts

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
dlux said:
rockford and alpine subs...ha what crap...u want quality get JL they have the best subs and amps and not to pricey. i payed 950 for 300/4 amp 500/1 amp and 12' w6v2. and the shit rips ...JL gives u true rms power, not the bullshit u see at circuit city , best buy, etc. i luv when i see a 1000 watt amp for less than 200...you'll be lucky if that thing gives u 300 true watts
i think your a little too into your equipment, in my opinion, jl is definately better than rockford, but alpines type r's are very good for the money also, jl tends to be a little more epensive, the w7's can be matched with a sub that costs $200 less. and as far as amps go, us acoustics, soundstream, etc offer really good quality amps for cheap. just my opinion though. and by the way lyrrad3, check out the phoenix gold titanium ti10 and ti10d (one is svc and one is dvc). you can get these for $89 a peice shipped on ebay.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
JL subs are pretty nice, though I've heard a great deal of crap come out of them. Do you have JL's because your buddy has one in his Civic?...come on you can fess up. Or was it because you got that super cool JL window decal for the rear? [limp]

As far as the original topic here. Rockford HE is probably around what...the $70-80 range? I'm guessing here, I have the RFP4210 which is a DVC HE2 and it cost me $150 so I'm thinking about half that. The biggest favor you can do yourself, no matter what sub you get, is to get the right box for it. Make sure the amp gets the correct amount of air, and choose the box type based on your listening preferences. Check out the other ideas that people brought up here also. It can never hurt at least to check them out. If someone touts the product as strongly as pyro does chances are they aren't gonna steer you in a wrong direction. But know what you are getting into before you start spending money. Find out power ratings and the like so that you know what you'll need for an amp, because an amp that does what you want it to do, could cost you just as much or more than the sub does. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No problems withem...hey how did u know my buddy has a civic.."supercoolwindow decal"... yeh that was the reason i got em...stupid...maybe its they just sound damn good to me.
dont fear me..but u might wanna watch out for my cat[8]

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
so rookie, how many subs did you listen to before you got the JL's? Did you see the part where the guy talked about....price? [eek] I have NEVER seen an affordable quality JL sub. Anything on their low end sounds like two fat asscheeks flapping in the breeze of a wet fart. The W7 is nice, but for the price, it's way out of line. I see more riced civics and accords with [limp] JL audio stickers on the rear window than I see misinformed kids on this site. Yeah JL makes a nice sub, on the high end. Just about everybody with the exception of a few companies makes a nice sub on the high end. As far as amps, JL doesn't have a real good rep in that department, and never has. I'm glad your buddy has a civic, maybe you should get one too, that would be super duper original. And you shouldn't talk about your mom that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts