Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I ordered a third brake light for my focus but the part does not fit because the soft inner lining is too thick. On the Rockauto website I ordered to return the item, explained why it does not fit a 2013 focus sedan like advertised, and requested a return. Today I went online to check the status and I accidentally clicked something and now the website is saying "I can no longer return the item or get a refund" - even though my refund request was already being processed the day before and I should get the return shipping label from that in my mailbox tomorrow.

Can someone from Rockauto please help me get my refund because a replacement will be the same wrong part. I ordered the part for my 2013 Focus and it clearly does not fit - it's probably meant for newer Focus sedans.

I have been a loyal customer of Rockauto for almost 10 years but if I cannot get this refunded I will have no choice but to take my business elsewhere.

Thanks

·
Thats What She Said
10,703 Posts
Have you tried contacting Rock Auto? A Forum like this is not exactly the most direct way to get their attention...

Phone number: 1-608-661-1376

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried contacting Rock Auto? A Forum like this is not exactly the most direct way to get their attention...

Phone number: 1-608-661-1376
Hi Magus. I tried calling that number - it's their corporate headquarters and i tried to find someone to talk to but kept getting the same robo message "we do not offer customer service any longer".
it used to be i could talk to someone on the phone.
Have you had any luck talking to a human from Rockauto, Magus?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Unfortunately they really don't offer customer service like that anymore.
I ran into a problem last year with this. I was pretty upset, but at the end of the day they just beat everybody else.
I wonder what you clicked on that just completely blocked you out from returning it.
My brother got a defective AC line from them and went through the whole online return process it worked out okay, so I don't know if it's hit-and-miss or what.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mishka, maybe you hit "cancel," and now you're past the 30 day (or whatever it is) return window policy?

Great prices, but I may think twice about buying from them again if you can't get a human on the phone.

·
Thats What She Said
10,703 Posts
Thought there was a way to press enough buttons you still got someone. They just make it really hard. There are a few websites that have the navigational way through company robo systems to get to a real person.

I accidently once hit a button asking if I had the car still on my return and there was no way to back out of it. Still have not tried to figure it out becuase for me it was a cheap enough part was not worth the $30 hassel of just buying it new again vs the return shipping, and getting a actual person on the phone to fix the error.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mishka, maybe you hit "cancel," and now you're past the 30 day (or whatever it is) return window policy?

Great prices, but I may think twice about buying from them again if you can't get a human on the phone.
exactly saintsfins. I requested a refund and then a few days later I logged back in and wanted to make sure it was still all correct and I must have accidentally clicked OK which changed it to an "warranty option" because at that point it was past 30 days.

I feel since since I made my initial request for a refund within 30 days they should honor it. But like you guys say there no longer seems to be a way to contact them which makes absolutely 0 sense in 2019.

I requested a return shipping label so I that will be my proof of my return request if I ever do manage to talk to someone.

Otherwise a resell is the only option. This part doesn't fit 2012-2013 as advertised so ill have to find someone who has a newer focus which I assume this is for, but my light went out at 90k miles so might be tough finding a newer focus that needs a new 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah... I still buy stuff from Rock Auto because it's inexpensive (Provided that I can get everything I want shipped from the same warehouse) but I've got a good sized box of parts that I bought from them that aren't what I need, and I can't return.

For this, I'd be tempted to disassemble the light and take the guts out to transplant to the factory part. You can probably get the lens off and open the housing with a little heat. A heat gun or hair dryer would probably be able to do the job and then some good glue to put it back together again.

I haven't yet had the experience that a part advertised for the year/make/model doesn't fit, but I have bought parts that had fine print (Models except Canada) which weren't appropriate, or in one case for a Canadian market only car, where the good old Internet said that it crosses to a US market something else -- it didn't quite, and though the shocks, rotor, brake pads and hydraulic lines all fit perfectly, the rear wheel hub did not. I still saved more on the parts that did fit in that transaction than the amount that the non-fitting part cost me...

·
Thats What She Said
10,703 Posts
I got a Fuel filler neck for my 2004 SVT FOci from them and it was not a correct fit. the hoses where bent a little different and the locations where it mounts were off. Only part though. The big frustration on that is when I did return it and got just a refund they did not refund shiping costs or anything. It was a part that did not fit. I took pictures and sent it in with the packaging showing how it was not the same part. Still lost out on shipping.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah... I still buy stuff from Rock Auto because it's inexpensive (Provided that I can get everything I want shipped from the same warehouse) but I've got a good sized box of parts that I bought from them that aren't what I need, and I can't return.

For this, I'd be tempted to disassemble the light and take the guts out to transplant to the factory part. You can probably get the lens off and open the housing with a little heat. A heat gun or hair dryer would probably be able to do the job and then some good glue to put it back together again.
I managed to swap a core from the junkyard (housing is bent) into my stock housing! I broke 3/4 plastic tabs on my stock housing because i should have used plastic trim tools, which I did on the junkyard housing and didn't break any tabs. I didnt need to use any heat gun to take it apart. just plastic trim tools. i used my heat gun to transfer the tint.

The 1 clip and metal brackets hold everything together just fine and I even managed to transfer my Lamin-X tint a second time even after being on the car for almost 10 years! Lamin-X is amazing!
Like New! and I didnt touch the Rockauto light so I can still sell it I hope 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice.

I generally like my safety equipment to function properly, and junkyard parts are generally a good choice for things like lights. I'm glad that this worked out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts