Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, I have searched and read and read and read and searched ..now I am totally confused.

As some of you know I track the lil blue FOCI and want to continue to do so.

I have a Procharger sitting in my garage, and I have the Quaife on order.

Now I need a clutch package...I am leaning towards Spec 3 with ALum flywheel, anyone running this package?

Does anyone have good advice to share? I read one thread and then the next contradicts it...[:(!]

What have you racing guys found to be a proven good combo?
Tom, this is why I have posted this in the Racing section vice the other forums of choice.

Your inputs will be appreaciated.

I plan on running about 275 ish HP with around 10lbs of boost.

Thanks for the quick help!

Ken

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i have a torsen and spec 3+ w/ alum flywheel. its nice. the clutch barely has to be depressed!! would work good for ur road racing car!! i've had alot of fun in mine and no problems whatsoever!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and thats good to know.

I think I will go with the Spec 3 with Alum flywheel unless someone has a good reason not to.

Would you guys know the best/cheapest place to order the clutch package from?

Thanks for the help guys,

Ken

[cheers] [cheers]

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
i have a torsen and spec 3+ w/ alum flywheel. its nice. the clutch barely has to be depressed!! would work good for ur road racing car!! i've had alot of fun in mine and no problems whatsoever!!
what do you mean by, "the clutch barely has to be depressed"?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the clutch has a short throw before its fully engaged. like about 1 inch. and the actual engagement is about 1 mm. lol, perfect for quick shifts if yo need it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I tracked my SVT with a steel flywheel and a Spec Stage 2 at NHIS for 2 days. The Spec Stage 2 is a heavy, chattery beast for daily driving and is tedious, but on the track the shifting and clutch engagement all came together. My PWSC only puts out 190 ftlbs, and I think the Stage 2 is good up to 250, so plenty of reserve. I say depending on the mix of street vs track driving you do, you might want to tone down to a Stage 2 if you wanna go to easy on your left knee :).

But the confidence of the clutch when it it presses perfectly together on a 3-4 shift onto the front straight as the RPMs sing past 6k, oh it's heavenly.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the spec III clutch is surprisingly VERY soft!!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
the spec III clutch is surprisingly VERY soft!!!!
Softer than a 2? I figure that could be possible depending on the strength of the pressure plate and how it's installed, but always figured more pressure needed for stronger clutches.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
lets put it this way, its WAYYYY softer than OEM. I don't know what the II is at but this one is SOOOOO nice , especially for DD, its a little touchy even now that I've driven it for about 4months, i'm still not great on it. but it is soft to say the very least!! I have the III + and i don't know if the + makes a difference, but i would definitely recommend it to everyone!! plus w/ a cluch that strong, it will last a while!!

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
the clutch has a short throw before its fully engaged. like about 1 inch. and the actual engagement is about 1 mm. lol, perfect for quick shifts if yo need it.
oooh ok, then I think you mean like you don't need to push it that much. So with just a kick between gears is more than enough?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup pretty much and its super light!! i LOOOVVVVEEEEE it!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses folks, it does help.

NOW, I have not seen a Spec 3 + for the focus, I have the SPEC 3 + in my Cobra and like it.

Do they make a + for the SVT focus? IF not, I am thinking the 3 will so just fine.

Best place to order from that you guys have found? Good customer service and all...

Thanks,

Ken

[cheers] [cheers]

·
Registered
881 Posts
I tried to save $20 or so by using someone other than CFM, and paid for it with very shoddy handling of my order. CFM will not do you wrong.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1400
That's a 3. Apparently a little cheaper than a 2+ right now. But as you can see, it's rated for 320 ftlbs, which is way more than what most people would need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to save $20 or so by using someone other than CFM, and paid for it with very shoddy handling of my order. CFM will not do you wrong.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1400
That's a 3. Apparently a little cheaper than a 2+ right now. But as you can see, it's rated for 320 ftlbs, which is way more than what most people would need.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Looks like the 3 for me...

Hope to see you guys at a track event sometime in 09, I know I will be doing quite a few.

Ken

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I'm pretty sure that McNews has a sale on them and flywheel combos. they had them for the zetec and svt a while ago and it was gonna b till they were all gone. free shipping and the flywheel was like 200 or so. give em a call!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Let us know how it all goes down. I'm curious.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
i have heard southbend has some NICE setups..thats what I was looking at. and no harsh engagerment or chatter from what they tell me.

THey are pricey, but it's good stuff WITH a LW flywheel that is smooth and good for DD.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Southbend is what I have with alum FW. Not harsh or chatter, highly recommend.

A friends car we just pulled the Spec Stage 3 out of, the clutch disk rivets sheared and the hub was just spinning. POS- not saying they all are but this one with 2000 miles on it was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts