Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've heard all the reviews for the new 2012 Focus and they all pretty much applaud the car's quietness and lack of road noise. But I have to say, my Focus is freakin' LOUD. My girlfriend was the first to complaint about it, and as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I think she's right.

I can never have a conversation on the phone via Bluetooth above 30 mph or so. And because the Bluetooth sucks (call quality AND connectivity) I decided to use a corded Jabra earpiece that I've had very good luck with in other cars. The verdict? People still have a very, very hard time hearing me above 30 mph and pretty much not all on on the highway.

I got a 2011 Focus rental today while my Titanium is in the shop. The difference in road noise is night and day. At 60 mph the older car is much quieter. It's easier to carry on a conversation with a passenger, and although I haven't used my earpiece yet I bet it's easier to hear me on the other end of the phone too.

My educated guess is that the 18" PS3s are the culprit. I know many of you have boasted how quiet their new Focus is, but I'm wondering if Ford forgot sound sound proofing material in mine, or if the summer tires are to blame.

I would love to some input from others.

Tony

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
How many miles are on the car? How is the air pressure? does it happen the entire time you are driving? I would take it to the dealer. I work on tons of cars with low pro ps3's and they manage to be quiet. sounds like its in your tires to me.

Matt

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Windows open?
The windows open the car is impossible over 30mph . Only with the window closed is it a quiet car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on the car? How is the air pressure? does it happen the entire time you are driving? I would take it to the dealer. I work on tons of cars with low pro ps3's and they manage to be quiet. sounds like its in your tires to me.

Matt
5,000 or so. Air pressure is at recommended 39 psi. Yes, the entire time.

Tony

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If you have the handling package with the beefier suspension/lopro tires, expect a lot more road noise. You should be able to do some research and find some answers, but generally the larger your wheels and the lower profile your tires, the more noise you'll get. The stiffer your suspension the louder your road noise as well. When you have a stiff suspension and low profile tires it's just a recipe for a lot of road noise, there isn't as much insulation from the noise as there is with thicker tires and softer springs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the handling package with the beefier suspension/lopro tires, expect a lot more road noise. You should be able to do some research and find some answers, but generally the larger your wheels and the lower profile your tires, the more noise you'll get. The stiffer your suspension the louder your road noise as well. When you have a stiff suspension and low profile tires it's just a recipe for a lot of road noise, there isn't as much insulation from the noise as there is with thicker tires and softer springs.
My '06 Mustang GT w/ 20-inch wheels and plenty of suspension mods doesn't seem as loud (or equally so), and people can hear me fairly well when I'm on the phone in it. Not so much in the Focus.

Tony

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an SEL with the standard 16.00" aluminum wheels. My wife and I have no problem conversing in the Focus and the bluetooth works very well.

I suggest you check the reviews from customers about your tires and see what they say. There are many reviews on the Tire Rack and Americas Tire store websites.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
check the brands of tires, I"ll bet they are different. I had a set of continentals a few years back; after 50% tread life they were MISERABLE LOUD!

try backing the tire pressure down to 32 PSI see if it helps.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a Ti with all the wheel/tire/suspension goodies & my car is quiet. I have Bluetooth conversations at 70mph all day

·
Registered
48 Posts
18s on ZR rated ties = noise

I am already looking at 17 and more side wall. Handling package a big mistake.......but, I drove a 40K Mazda CR9 AWD and a 38K Mazda CR9 2wd and both had a very frustrating and mind nubbin road noise. I would have never bought these two SUV for road alone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, so I've heard all the reviews for the new 2012 Focus and they all pretty much applaud the car's quietness and lack of road noise. But I have to say, my Focus is freakin' LOUD. My girlfriend was the first to complaint about it, and as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I think she's right.

I can never have a conversation on the phone via Bluetooth above 30 mph or so. And because the Bluetooth sucks (call quality AND connectivity) I decided to use a corded Jabra earpiece that I've had very good luck with in other cars. The verdict? People still have a very, very hard time hearing me above 30 mph and pretty much not all on on the highway.

I got a 2011 Focus rental today while my Titanium is in the shop. The difference in road noise is night and day. At 60 mph the older car is much quieter. It's easier to carry on a conversation with a passenger, and although I haven't used my earpiece yet I bet it's easier to hear me on the other end of the phone too.

My educated guess is that the 18" PS3s are the culprit. I know many of you have boasted how quiet their new Focus is, but I'm wondering if Ford forgot sound sound proofing material in mine, or if the summer tires are to blame.

Tony
Tony, most annoying in my Titianium with 17" polished alumn rims is the hypnotic humming sound I hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. Ford replaced the bearing left front, it did not help. Tires were the first thing we looked at. To date, Ford cannot find the cause. They have a SSM 21985 out on this problem. But all it says is to just document it and monitor the SSM for further results. I first took in my Focus to document this problem on 8/11/11. It may or may not be related to your noise level.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Any chance the OP can post a youtube video or some kind of recording of the cabin noise at highway speeds? It would be nice to hear just how loud and what type of noise he is hearing. I don't have those tires and my ride is very quiet at all the various speeds.

Jimmyt, that problem you have would be nice to hear on a youtube video also? I can't believe the makers of this car can't figure out why this resonant sound is occurring at those speeds you mentioned.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any chance the OP can post a youtube video or some kind of recording of the cabin noise at highway speeds? It would be nice to hear just how loud and what type of noise he is hearing. I don't have those tires and my ride is very quiet at all the various speeds.

Jimmyt, that problem you have would be nice to hear on a youtube video also? I can't believe the makers of this car can't figure out why this resonant sound is occurring at those speeds you mentioned.
I have a Radio Shack SPL meter that I can use. Basically, I can drive on a highway (or wherever) and take an average sound level reading over a certain amount of time, like 30 seconds or something like that.

In my mind, what I'm hearing is tire noise pure and simple. But I've dismissed this because so many people here have bragged how quiet the PS3s are. Tirerack tests and/or reviews aren't much help because it's such a new tire, I assume.

Tony

·
Registered
533 Posts

Tony
Hi, well as I've got the 18" wheels with the PS3's all I can say is that mine is quieter than my last car, a Mk4 Mondeo, with the same size wheels and tyres. I can also cary out converstions over the phone without any complaints about the quality of my voice. So much for educated guess's, maybe you are right, your car hasn't any sound proofing or the tyre pressure are too low.
The reviewers can't all be wrong...
Chris

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a Ti with all the wheel/tire/suspension goodies & my car is quiet. I have Bluetooth conversations at 70mph all day
Test drove both a Ti w/ and w/o the sport supsension wheel package once with my gf/dealer and just the dealer. Took the car up to 60mph for a good little bit...ride was fine both times talking about the car...People just nit pick too much I think. If you're going from a roadbeaten 01 focus with over 162000 miles, where you can feel every bump nook and crannie in the road with an uncomfortable ride...I will be able to deal with these "issues" and be ever so grateful for my first brand new car =)

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 93 Posts