Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wonderin which one do u people think takes more skill i know wht i think to me its road course because in my opioun anyone can build a car to go fast in a straight line but what do u think[thumb]

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Man I can only imagine what this will start. LOL

Any way I like the quarter more, people will say that the focus isnt a 1/4 mile car but whatever. Any car can be a quater mile car. As for which takes more skill, I would have to say the road course, just because it isnt hard to drive your car straight untill you have some real power and it gets hard to drive. People will say that you have to know how to shift and what not in the quarter though. As for building the car, both are difficult. On a road course car the suspension and power are important. I guess on a quater mile car both are important too. The suspension is important for take off. As you can see I am having difficulty makin up my mind. There is skill required for both. IMO I like the quater better. That is just me. I grew up around my dad and he has had everything from 11 sec 69 camaros, to 87 grand nationals with 150 shot on it, to a 13 seconds flat all motor s10, and now the GTO. I grew up at the track and I will always be at home there.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Isn't this like asking what takes more skill; NASCAR or WRC?

The road course obviously takes more skill. A trained monkey could drive a car in the 1/4 mile, all you have to do is push the pedals and keep the car in a relatively straight line. The road course requires you to do more than mash the gas and make small adjustments on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not saying you're wrong, but I think there's a little more to it than how you put the 1/4 mile part. Atleast to be good at it. It's not just mash the gas n go. If it were that easy, we'd all be pro drag racers. lol.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Haven't done a road course before, so I can't comment on skill.

In my experience, people who mock the 1/4 mile are either people who haven't done it, did it, and couldn't do it well, or had a slow car. There is a lot more than meets the eye in getting a perfect launch, a good r/t, and a nice, consistent e/t. You're right in that it is easy to make a car go straight down a track, but doing it well is another matter. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've done both during open track events. Each requires practice to improve your skills and get better results, which is an attractive challenge. I liked road courses better, but I don't think it's easy to quantify the skills required to do either, and determine which is harder.

Ed

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Having done some 1/4 mile, autocross, and road courses, I have to say road courses are the most fun. Hell, its the best bang for buck too. You can get close to 3-4 hours of track time in a weekend, where you are lucky to get 1 minutes worth at 1/4 mile or 4 minutes worth at autocross.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The road course requires more skill but is also more forgiving for mistakes. In 1/4 mile, you don't have room for error, reaction time, launch, shifting, anyone of those can make a great run a joke run. In road course you have time to attack the course more aggresively if you miss a shift or misjudge a turn. You have time to react to that situation, in the quarter mile, you have 15 seconds to have everything come together.

I have like 2 minutes to think about my 1/4 mile runs. [:D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts