Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I've been reading on the forums for months since i got my 08 ses coupe.... I've got some subs and a remote start installed but next I wanted to put some 18's on with pirelli all season tires... my question is that if i get 18s, what else would i have to do in order to make sure my ABS doesn't get messed up and if so, what else would I have to add in in order for the rims to have the tire pressure system to still work? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
To make the TPMS work you will need to install TPMS sensors on the new wheels. TIRERACK sells several different models but they are not that cheap.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ Get rid of the tpms. All it does is cost you $$$$$$. Just check your car every so often and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tire rack has em for $45 each. if i dont need the tpms, what about the abs? isnt it going to offset the settings it has now?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your ABS won't be affected if you install the same size tires front and rear.

ABS expects a certain ratio of rotational speed between each wheel; on a Focus (and most other cars), all 4 tires are the same size, so the ABS expects them all to rotate at the same rate most of the time. This causes problems when someone (a) installs different size tires front and rear, or (b) installs brand new tires on one or two wheels while leaving seriously worn-out tires on the other wheels. The difference in diameter between different-size tires or between full-tread and no-tread tires can make the rotational speeds different enough to trigger the ABS light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys...

so you think if i went from 16s to 18s that wouldnt matter? and i can take the tire pressure system sensors out of my old tires and put em on the new rims? that would save me $370 to get the kit from tire rack

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My first question would be ....have you really thought out why you want to use 18's. If its for look you should also be aware of the downsides. From a performance standpoint they are complete losers. They increase rotating mass significantly. It will take more power to get them rolling and more brake to stop them. Your acceleration will be slower and braking distances will be longer. If you feel you must continue down this path at least get the lightest wheel AND tire combo you can find and afford.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geezer, thank you for your response... I have taken that into consideration and i actually got only 2 pounds heavier per rim then what is on the stock 16s. thank you for reminding me though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts