Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What size rim do you prefer to drag with or auto cross with??

• 16" rims

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 17" rims

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 18" rims

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • the size does not mater??

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda rims do people have, how light of rims do you got, i needl numbers!, i want to purchase light rims, for auto crossing i am driving a SVT 2003 foci, i would like 16" or 17" any one know of any light rims and tires together??? hit me back!!! post some pic!! price would be good to!!
thanks to all woh post back

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well I am not sure how much mine weigh I should find out sometime! I dunno tho cuz my rims are unavailable now:(.....sucks if i break one! I got MR12's I think they are called. By Motegi Racing. I got these suckers before Motegi even became popular.
-Ashley

S

·
0 Posts
The stupid dealer can't even handle my stock rims w/o damaging it. I would be scared to take my car to a Ford dealer with expensive custom wheels only to be given back looking like scrap metal and given some B.S. as to why they won't pay until court orders them they have to.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The only damage to my rims are the damage I have done myself...LOL. Although the dealer here in my town did put a dent down the bottom of my car.....they were being a-holes about it and said i have no proof they did it. I was like whatever....I was gonna get my bodykit put on soon so it would cover it anyways. But I dont go to Ford to get anything done really.
-Ashley

·
Registered
165 Posts
I picked up some 17" Steeda wheels (the ultra-lite F1 wheels) since they were on sale, but have not been able to use them yet. they rub with 225/45/17 tires on them so I took the tires of and have not had anything mounted back up yet. I had planned on using them for track days tho. You can find them on Steeda's web site: www.steedafocus.com

oops.. forgot to say weight.. they are 16 or 17 lbs a piece. Definitely lighter than my stock SVT wheels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not sure what you consider "light weight" but for your reference, stock 6 spoke 16" from 00-04 ZX3 weighs 19.3 lbs. Hubcap on a steel wheel weighs 1 lb.

Mille Miglia MM11-3 17" which sells for $120 ea Tirerack weighs 17.5 lbs, so weight difference is quite negligible.

If you pick a wheel that's 2 lbs lighter, but you pickup a set of tires that each weighs 3 lbs more, you're not doing yourself any good in weight reduction. When choosing tire, you have to watch the weight as well as the width for that reason.. 225/45/17 weighs 3 lbs more than the same make model 215/40/17, so you take a step backward in unsprung weight reduction.

So wheels are definitely aesthetics thing more than performance. Tires have much more effect on cornering performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts