Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My first post to this part of the site. I have been having a really bad problem getting my wheels clean. It seems the road grime and break dust is just sticking to my rims, and it's a freaking bitch to get lean. I wash the rims and the crap just sticks. I think my freind screwed up my rims. he used somthing on them,like a degreaser and after that the rims just do not come clean like they used to with just soap and water. The crap just sticks and stains. I've really had to scrub to even get somwhat nice results. Anyone with suggestions or somthing to help for the next car wash day.[?|] [?|] [?|] [?|]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
He may have hurt them, some of those degreasers can also eat paint and it may have eaten some of the clear coat on the wheels. If they really just will not come clean, you may want to consider wetsanding and re-clear coating them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he may be right. the clear may be fubar. Maybe time for new rims

·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
Since we don't know what your friend has used on your wheels and a picture would be almost helpless, I'd like to know if the finish feels rough or has change colour. That would mean the clear coat has been affected. I'd go with what SVT_BMXer suggested, remove the worst one and try to wet sand it with a 400 grit first and see where it goes from there.

I know it's too late for yours but for the rest : never use chemical products on the wheel. The finish is almost the same as the body paint so a good soap & water is all you need once a week and I even wax them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you use tire shine? If you do, this is more than likely your problem. It attracts dirt and brake dust like crazy.
What kind of degreaser did your friend use?
What kind of rims do you have?

There can be alot of factors. I wouldn't sand anything and put clear coat on it yet.

BTW, I've used degreasers on MANY different wheels, and I've never had, or seen any problems. Simple Green is what I use now, it won't hurt your wheels.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are the stock 04 svt wheels, and as for the product he used on them. I just don't know. I will try simple green and see were that go's. If not I will by new rims

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do your rims look somewhat dull after you scrub them to get them clean? The simple grean wont help with the dullness, but it should help with cleaning them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
airdrummer said:
Do you use tire shine? If you do, this is more than likely your problem. It attracts dirt and brake dust like crazy.
What kind of degreaser did your friend use?
What kind of rims do you have?

There can be alot of factors. I wouldn't sand anything and put clear coat on it yet.

BTW, I've used degreasers on MANY different wheels, and I've never had, or seen any problems. Simple Green is what I use now, it won't hurt your wheels.
I've used tire shine on many occasions on my tires and it hasn't affected brake dust on my wheels. I'd say its more likely that the clear coat has been damaged.

·
Registered
279 Posts
PlutoJared22 said:
I've used tire shine on many occasions on my tires and it hasn't affected brake dust on my wheels. I'd say its more likely that the clear coat has been damaged.
It depends on how you put it on your tires. If you use a sponge and wipe it on, none (or hardly any) of it gets on your rims. But if you spray it on, it sticks to your rims, and in turn, brake dust, dirt, ect. sticks to your rims. It shouldn't be very hard to clean off though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
has anyone noticed that the tire protectent kills soap action. like the soap stops foaming. And the rims don't really look dull, like really freaking hard to get the brake dust off. It is like the florida un just bakes crap in. Car wash day on monday, we will see what happens. Really just pissing me off. I've had the car 2 years, no problems and the wheels always looked soooo good. And now they are hell to get clean.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts