Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using 16" steelies from the dealer. If I purchased some aftermarket 17" rims would I have an issue? nothing on my car is aftermarket, Will I have issues when I switch to the steelies during the winter since theyre different sized now?

·
Registered
173 Posts
As long as the new rims are in 5x108 bolt then there should be no issue as long as you are planing to buy some tires to fit the new rims

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Wheels & Tires

The std. size info. for your car is "stickied" in this section, as long as you stick to std. tire sizes to match the changed wheel diameters your overall tire diameter won't change.

Winter & Summer will be very close to identical in revolutions per mile.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Moved to Wheels & Tires

The std. size info. for your car is "stickied" in this section, as long as you stick to std. tire sizes to match the changed wheel diameters your overall tire diameter won't change.

Winter & Summer will be very close to identical in revolutions per mile.
to add, pay attention to the wheel offset and width. As long as those both are similar to oem wheel sizes, everything will fit the same. If you check out the wheels on a site like tirerack.com for your car, you'll get an idea of what will fit.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted before thinking on that one I'd guess, fresh wheels/tires would definitely need balancing.

Never thought much for the look of wheels with two bolt patterns myself, if Tire Rack lists the fitment as OK for your car they'll work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also saw that some 5x108 SPARCO 17s and Sport Edition 16s were on clearance and in stock at Tire Rack yesterday. I always consider light weight/dollar to be a major factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted before thinking on that one I'd guess, fresh wheels/tires would definitely need balancing.

Never thought much for the look of wheels with two bolt patterns myself, if Tire Rack lists the fitment as OK for your car they'll work.
Would that be required if I got 16" rims?

And if they need to be balanced then would I need to balance my wheels every time I would change them for winter and summer?

Never done this before so any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You need rebalancing anytime that you remove a tire from a wheel, and install another tire no matter the size.

If you are swapping a full set of wheel/tires at a time then no rebalancing other than the first time mounting tires to wheels.

Only issue is if your car comes with TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), then you need new sensors for the new wheels. But every time you swap summer to winter, and back, you would need to re program your car, or deal with TPMS light coming on all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts