Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo little story. The tires I have (bfgoodrich g-force super sport a/s) have these rim protectors they call them. Basically the edge of the tire extends over the wheel a bit. Here is a link to them on tirerack with pics for reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A/S

Anyway. I was coming home and taking a left hand turn at a light. There was one of those little domed curbs separating the the two lane road. So the light turned orange so I decided to hurry a bit. Took the corner a bit too sharp and knicked the edge of the curb with both the drivers front and rear tires. Big thunks on both. [bigcry] So I pulled over at the next gas station expecting ruined EAPs... I was so upset. Got out and sure enough there was a big smudge on the front wheel. The rear looked fine. Big black smudge. Great I thought. New wheel. But as I thought to myself "hey the metal under the paint isn't black and neither was the curb. but the tires are black." So I rubbed at it a little and it all came right off!!! It was just where the tire had impacted the curb first and squashed over a little to protect my wheel!!! hahaha sooooo happy at this point. So then I close my eyes and use my index finger to trace the outside rim of the wheel to check for dips and bends. (old woodworker trick) Nothing. No dips, bends or even scratches on the outter rim.

Driving home with them there was no shuddering under acceleration, cruising or braking so I seriously doubt there is any hidden damage or the wheel being outta round. The tire took the hit. Its fine too. Just a little scuff. I am going to have them rotated and re-balanced anyway cause they needed it before-hand. But yeah. Wanted to share my happy story. Thank God for those rim protectors.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i might have to look into some of those the next time i need tires. very nice

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol yeah a little bit huh. Got em rotated and rebalanced at the same time and they were perfectly round. yay. Alignment scheduled for next week just in case.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Good thing my car is getting a set of those Bf's in the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts