Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 05 ST with a 2.3D in it. The right (passenger side) intermediate CV support bearing is bad. Rest of shaft is still good. Only has 125K on it. Anybody know the part number, or where to look for it?

Thanks

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
It sure if this is true for the Mk1. 5 with the Duratec but just replace the whole shaft assembly. That's not answering your question but have seen what it takes to try to replace just the bearing and replacing the whole CV shaft assembly.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll just cut the old one off with a torch, and make up a pipe to press the new one on. Done lots of bearings over the years.

I bought a Cardone select shaft from Rockauto, and the outboard cv joint felt sloppy, and somewhat gritty when flexed, so its going back. It was cheap though.

I could get a motorcraft one but that's $225. A single bearing is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper, and the oem cv's might last the life of the car.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That's a cheaper source for OEM.

Good fit for that bearing can be an issue, seen a few reports here of not being tight enough to hold position when replaced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a cheaper source for OEM.

Good fit for that bearing can be an issue, seen a few reports here of not being tight enough to hold position when replaced.
Thanks for the tip, Ill make sure I use sleeve retaining compound (green loctite) on the bearing.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
BTDT, a lot of those bearings are priced to make the entire axle worth buying. Try another Cardone, the last one I bought there was $50 and worked perfect and 3-4 years ago now still running fine. The bearing was around $50 too and very limited access to them as they are not commonly sold. $50 is about right for a high load bearing like that now, anything under that will be a cheap Chinese copy and problems.

I'm the same and hundreds if not thousands of bearings changed in my past but some things are lining up to stop that now. I change bearing only any chance I get.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I had the same issue a few yrs ago...I replaced the whole axle for a new Precision FD8027 for around $65.00. You'll need to tear down the axle to replace that bearing. Not worth my time to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up an 05 ST with a 2.3D in it. The right (passenger side) intermediate CV support bearing is bad. Rest of shaft is still good. Only has 125K on it. Anybody know the part number, or where to look for it?

Thanks
You can enter your VIN on page https://www.fordpartsprime.com/ to narrow down the catalog to parts that are specific to your vehicle then search through the categories. This page has everything genuine OEM Ford. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same issue a few yrs ago...I replaced the whole axle for a new Precision FD8027 for around $65.00. You'll need to tear down the axle to replace that bearing. Not worth my time to do.
I found this out and 2nd the statement. Plus you will need a new axle nut which comes with a new axle.

I am a Rockauto fan.

OJ

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
^^^ FYI, axle nuts per spec are suppose to be able to be used up to 3 torque sequences. So a replace of axle nut is not needed if the owner has or is keeping track. Also though that I know applied to the hardened steel stacked ones from Ford. Not sure if you want to risk that on the soft metal aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate people taking the time to respond, but maybe we're not talking about the same bearing. It took me all of about 5 min. to get it off, and that was because I ran out of oxygen, and had to use the cut-off wheel.

Bearing was $24.69 shipped, and its oem. Found it on Ebay. I'll post the part no. after I get it, and make sure its the right one. Found the no. on a Focus site that shall not be named.

The hardest part of all this is going to be digging through my scrap pile to find a pipe to use to put it back on.

Remember I'm a cheap bastard, and I still want to keep the oem cv joints.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
The ebay sites are well known for using the OEM bearing number when selling cheap CHINESE bearings, it pulls in the suckers. That will NOT be a Ford bearing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ebay sites are well known for using the OEM bearing number when selling cheap CHINESE bearings, it pulls in the suckers. That will NOT be a Ford bearing.
Damn Dude I hope I'm not a sucker [80?]..... This looks pretty legit to me though!

Plus, the guy who sold it has only 4 negatives out of 4,425 transactions for the year on Ebay.

Maybe he bought a cheap bearing, and stuck it in the original box to recoup some of his investment? Lol

Oh, and I mic'd it, so for future reference bearing no. YS4Z3K093AA appears to be the correct number for those that opt to do things the hard way, like me.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
The box means nothing. Look at the bearing markings, may be a good one. Bearings are never in original boxes half the time any more. If real then the person who sold it stole it likely as they cost far more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts