Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a local body shop and they quoted me $230.00 and said it was a standard lowest price for painting anything. Am I wrong for thinking this is a little bit high?

On another note how hard would this be to just do myself? How expensive?

·
Registered
433 Posts
seems a little high, unless they are perfectly color matching and clear coating it, then its somewhat reasonable. I would say $100-200 depending on how big the wing is....you could do it yourself but unless you have the tools and skills as well as a cheap way of getting the paint and clearcoat, its not worth it...i painted my moldings for $60 and they turned out pretty good but they could've been perfect for about $30 more and done by a shop. I'd call more places up, even Maaco see what they could do it for.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya good idea..thanks HL. I painted my moldings and rear hatch strip and it came out to about 40 total for all the paint and clear and promotor junk. I couldn't even get a body shop to paint 'em!

·
Registered
286 Posts
sounds about right

that is a pretty acurate quote. you have to figure you are going to pay somone to prep, prime, and paint your wing plus the cost of the paint, the clear, and all the other little tid bits. I don't know what shop you are working with, or what paint they use, but the actual paint, to match you car is going to cost around 60-70 wholesale, if it is good paint that won't fade in the sun. if you did it right yourself, you'd pay around $100 for all the paint, and thats not to mention you would need a paint gun and an air compressor, a ventalated room that is dirt and dust free [:D] but yes that is a pretty good price, if the work is done right!

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I'd pay that.

But mostly because I KNOW I couldn't do it myself, and wouldn't even want to try....

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's say I went through earl scheibb or maaco, would they install the wing as well? or just paint it?

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you asked Maaco to install your wing, they would drill it into your front passenger fender and call it a day.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I could have it painted in our bodyshop fopr $50. Thats terribly high!

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol T-V good point man...those [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]s. Should I just paint this junker myself? There has to be somewhere in san diego that will paint it and install it for under 100...it's probably gona take one can of paint.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
I could have it painted in our bodyshop fopr $50. Thats terribly high!
damn i wish i lived near you i need some odds and ends painted. a lip kit and my rear trunk trim, maybe my antenna base too. i got quoted for "at least $600"

can I mail you my trunk trim for painting?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
God, thats high!

·
Registered
714 Posts
i can get mine painted here in austin for 80 bucks

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
yo turbovation, just out of curiosity, what shop did you get quoted at? I am here in San Diego as well and will be needing to find a place that will paint my roush body kit when it comes in.
Thanks in advance

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
earl scheibb and maaco both quoted a bare minimum of 200 to paint ANYTHING...I'm assuming they would charge me 200 bucks to paint the ford emblem white....Maybe they just don't want to waste their time so they quoted me really high.

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
turbo, you should get a quote at kearny mesa ford or balboa auto body. they are both good body/paint shops. I would NEVER take anything to earl schieb or maaco that was being put on/was a car that was worth more than a grand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts