Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I searched for 15 minutes haven't found anything yet, is there a difference in ride height from the ZX3 to the SVT, from what pictures I would say yes there is, I'm trying to decide from the Eibach kit springs/shocks/struts/swaybars/bushings....or I'm just gonna go with a Stock SVT springs, etc, also with teh SVT rims and tires....any ideas¿

·
Registered
793 Posts
Go with a Sprint suspension spring kit, nice and stiff, cheaper and stiffer than Eibach with a 1.8" decrease in ride height off stock, the SVT suspension is weak compared to an aftermarket set-up with linear springs such as sprint, Eibach uses a progressive spring rate, so its like buying stock springs which are shorter, instead of buying stiffer springs which are also shorter, they improve conering way more than progressive BS

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks but also....

I am not looking for anything radical, I just want it lower since it is almost new, I was hoping to stick with as stock as possible, I was also looking for 1-1.5 inch drop, as roads where I am aren't too great, so about how much does that kit cost I have seen the eibach for about 800$
and I could get all the SVT for about 450$ from a friend at a dealer.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
if you were closer, I'd let you drive my SVT to see for yourself. The SVT is decent for stock but is only ~.5" lower. If you want good handling and a nice ride, the SVT suspension is great. It retains alot of the suspension travel, which is also nice. As a general rule of thumb I've always thought/heard that you shouldn't lower a car more than when the control arms are parallel to the ground...the front on my SVT is about parallel and the rear can afford to come down ~.5" maybe.

If you want track handling, get a good set of coilovers. If I still have the car when the warranty ends, that will be my route. This way, I can adjust the ride height, corner-weighting, spring rate, and damping if need be.

Nick

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly how I want it

I love the way it handles stock....But I hate being able to see the shocks and what not in the rear, and since I'm pretty sure I'm getting the SVT rims/tires, I was thinking on going with the SVT parts and MAYBE get stiffer swaybars along with that....I'm not looking for track handling, but i know with SVT parts dealer can't tell me a damn thing, although I doubt the cover the suspension anyways....I've got a 5 year bumper to bumper warantee and since my last ford (Ranger) blew the rear main seal after 44K miles, I want the warantee to be there....I like it stock but I just want the fender gap gone....Thanks alot everyone for the info!!

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
the springs are progressive for a reason

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My preference is a progressive spring over a lineal rate spring for the street. The progressive rate (when properly designed) will give you a nice ride and then firm up quickly for turning and braking manuvers. Rally cars almost always use a progressive rate spring. Keeps you from getting shaken to death. The extra spring rate is there to swallow up the big hits and jumps. I had stiff lineal rates on my RX7 rally car and sure wished I had had progressive rates. The car was a handful at speed. If I remember correctly, only the Eibach kits come with progressively wound springs. Eibach makes and sells lineal rate springs as well.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hey if you are looking to buy svt springs and shocks check out ebay. I bought a set for 200 bux for everything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you're the one then

who beat me on the auction, no JK...that's why I've seen some off of new cars and some just new sets, that's why I was leaning to that route

·
Registered
2 Posts
i ordered 4 KYB GR-2 Gas struts and 4 dropzone springs that lower 1.8", the svt spring are prolly more exspenive then just doin it another way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts