Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does it seem everyone on this site hates "rice burners"? i own a 2000 focus zx3 with a rice burner can on it and i like the way it looks and sounds.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
"Rice Burner" is a very general comment directed at cheap, ineffectively modded cars that are show and no go. A very loud "fart can" exhaust definitely fits into that category. Doesn't really do anything for performance, and compared to some very good exausts really sounds crappy. It can be lound and sound good at the same time, but most sport compact guys don't seem to take the time, effort, or investment neccesary to do it right.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
yes, fart cannons both look retarded and do nothing for performance, they basically only make old people come out of their homes because of obnoxiously loud beehive sounding cars driving by, shaking their fists yelling "You damn kids! Back in my day we danced the tootsie foot and wore onions on our belts, as that was the style at the time!" yada yada yada.

so in closing, don't buy bad parts so that old people stay where they belong, in nursing homes in front of TV's watching reruns of the Golden Girls.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, this thread got completely off topic. The guy was talkin about why everyone here at this site hates the "Fart Cannon" exhaust tips. I don't hate them at all, as a matter of fact I prefer them over a traditional exhaust muffler placement under the car(they just look better to me).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanks for all the comments now i understand what makes a rice burner but i still do like the looks of good ones. although i rather make mine look like a rally style.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I have heard some "can" style exhausts that sounded decent... but I have heard way more that absolutely sounded terrible, just terrible. So bad that just taking the whole exhaust off altogether would probably have been an improvement. So bad that you have to wonder if the owner of the car is DEAF because no one with working hearing could possibly find it to be a pleasant sound. That's why people hate them - the ones that sound buzzy and hollow, and are overly loud without any attempt to make a good exhaust note, ruin it for the few who do it right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine makes a nice deep note and doesnt buzz at all an occasion pop or something when down shifting but i know what you mean with the buzz. mine also sits at a slight angle, which i like the look of.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i welded a red carbon fiber can on, red isnt very bright but she sure does shimmer.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You have a ricer then my friend. Put a full cat-back on and you will have peformance gains and even deeper sound. Sorry to be straight and to the point, but the truth hurts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah see i dont really have ne cash and i love the ladies. so right now im just going for something thatll get their attention. next thing im doing is painting my car and lowering and lil later some rims. finally ill start to get some actuall performance parts.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
tooFocused said:
yeah see i dont really have ne cash and i love the ladies. so right now im just going for something thatll get their attention. next thing im doing is painting my car and lowering and lil later some rims. finally ill start to get some actuall performance parts.
Right...you do that. I bet you are getting "so much" attention.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Of course he is, all the ladies are turning there heads going "ah God where is that awful noise coming from?!" [hihi]

Seriously though his could sound nice, you never know unless you hear it yourself. Give him a break...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
SVT4ME said:
Of course he is, all the ladies are turning there heads going "ah God where is that awful noise coming from?!" [hihi]

Seriously though his could sound nice, you never know unless you hear it yourself. Give him a break...
Alright, I will. I just never did like the half-A$$d (lol, am I allowed to spell it like that?) way of doing things, so you know.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
focusboy0383 said:
rice burners are usually a phase. one day you will be one of us
That's true... as embarrassing as it is to admit I did go through a "sticker" phase with my MR2 back in the late 90's, and I spent hours poring over NOPI ads and their website looking at shift knobs, pedal covers, and Momo steering wheels. [:I] [paranoid]

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you think its your car that will woo ladies, you are definately 19. Take it from a true caliber pimp, (snicker) if I can pick up rolling in a diesel 1985 Volvo 740GLE station wagon its not the car that does it.

oh yes, and put away your Xbox Trentanian Devl-Scale of the Black Dragon - Recruit

hehehehe.

http://www.blackdragoncanada.4t.com

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's all relative, I guess... IMO there's something of a fine line between "Ricer" and "Tuner," tho a lot of factors go into that.

If your tip has a diameter wider than 4 inches, and you're not driving a Ford diesel truck or running at least a huge turbo if not 2, then go park your car in the garage so that nobody will see your exhaust. And if your car is running so people can hear it, well you'll die from CO fumes.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts