Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of let me start off by saying the ST is a great car coming out of factory turbo. Great responsiveness and great around corners.

I got it from FSWERKS which was done by Randy. Before the tune I could notice that the power from the top end was not there. With the tune, first thing I've noticed was the increase of power/torque all throughout the powerband. Very noticable increase mainly in the top end range. Feels like it keeps pulling all the way up to redline. The motor ran smoother, my mileage increase about 2 MPG (which i was mainly concerned about), and feels like it's straight from the factory. There is absolutly nothing I dislike about my new tune. Hell Randy even sent me an extra 91 OCT tune for when I move up north to Oregon.

This is a must if you want more power out of your ST. It will increase your gas mileage if your worried about it. Not by much but its something! I went from 22.8 MPG to 24.3 MPG (calculated with mileage on tank to gallons added). This pulls A LOT harder than my old Turbo'd Sedan..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds great..............is this available, or going to be available, on their web site or via other means?

Nevermind............I see the tuner is for sale on their web site. Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm??????? Oh Santa..................................

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No advertising. Just a plain simple review. Yes it's a copy an paste but who wants to type out two reviews to set out one great message. I'm bone stock as for now

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ordered an SCT from FSWerks yesterday! Thanks to Randy for taking the time to answer my questions, and educating me on a couple of misconceptions I had about current reflash tech. [thumb]

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me on this, You will absolutly LOVE your ST with Randy's tune. I ONLY go to Randy for tuning for my Focus. He tuned my '10 Focus that was turbo'd.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My FSW SCT is going to be delivered today! Where the heck is the OBD II port in my Focus?

Disregard! Found the access to the OBD II OK, curtesy of another thread in the forums here. That, and the fact the port cover had OBD cast into the front of it. [idea] Hhhhhhmmmmmm???????? Wonder if that could be it?? [hihi]

Just gotta wait for the new horsepower to arrive now!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,312 Posts
First of let me start off by saying the ST is a great car coming out of factory turbo. Great responsiveness and great around corners.That sounds great got to love that.<<<<<
There is absolutly nothing I dislike about my new tune. Hell Randy even sent me an extra 91 OCT tune for when I move up north to Oregon.<<<<<
[welcome]to the N/W.

So this means your going to join our N/W section now? And attend a few of our g2g's? huh? Thats great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
UPS dropped off my new FSW/SCTTuner about 1620 hours. Read over the quick start guide, went out to the car, plugged it in and followed the instructions in the QG.

About two or three steps into the tuner's routine it tries to read the parameters of the stock ECU settings. Got two failure to read prompts in a row. Unplugged the tuner from my OBD port and reconnected it (anyone else planning to do this upgrade take note, it takes a FIRM press to plug the device into the OBD port---be sure and get it in straight as I imagine the pins could be bent in the tuner side of the connection; given the amount of effort it took to get mine to seat fully). Went OK on the third attempt; as soon as the tuner read the stock ECU parameters, all my dashboard lights came on and there was a whole bunch of clicking and whirring going on inside the dash. Got the prompt on the Tuner's display it was uploading/installing the new ECU settings. NOTE: Several times during the routine I got prompts to "turn key on" or "turn key off". [scratch] Not really something I could do with a keyless/ dashboard start/stop button type of ignition. I just ignored the prompts and went to the next step. I had no problems!

Starts and idles fine, stock driveability; pulls slightly harder across the rev range (based on my highly developed and sensitive seat of the pants dyno [:)]). Did an eighteen mileish freeway drive, took the back roads home, and some around the village start/stop driving for a maiden FSW cruise. No problems.............and I'm very interested to see if the improved mileage appears over the next few drives.

Best of all? No smoke, coming from behind the dash; resulting in an all consuming inferno! [headbang]

BTW: Randy at FSW included the 91 octane settings with my device also. Can't always get 93 here in the sticks! Thanks very much!!!

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since You've bumped this, lately Ive been getting around 25-26 MPG driving around Post which the fastest speed is only 40 MPH.

Thanks again FSWERKS. This will pay for itself in the long run

·
Registered
945 Posts
Do tunes ruin warranties? What about other mods?

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
yes tunes ruin warranties. idk if there is a way to completely clear it so they cant see it anymore. from what i have heard they can still see that you have tuned it after you go back to stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought this tune and was nervous as I know of a few who melted their STI engines with tunes. Anyway, this isn't an STI and Ford did a great job with the engine. I bought my tune with the 93 octane option and immediately noticed the car is different. I took the car to the track last October as I am an instructor with the BMW club and surprised a number of people with how fast the car was stock.

Now it has the tune with the rev limit @ 6200rpm and a green line filter along with a Steeda rsb. I took it the other weekend to Summit Point and WOW! I pulled on many Bimmers and some Porsches in the straights, but because I didn't have R-Comps and brake pads I had to give a few point bys. Many though inquired what I had done and they all were stunned. I love the tune and would love to know what it outputs on the dyno, but first I need new pads as I destroyed the OEM pads with 8800 miles. Yep. You read that right. 8800 miles and it needs front brakes. Summit Point is notoriously hard on them.

My friend has a Mustang Dyno and plenty of tuning experience, so we'll see what we can squeeze out of it. Overall the FSWerks tune is just what the Dr ordered.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes tunes ruin warranties. idk if there is a way to completely clear it so they cant see it anymore. from what i have heard they can still see that you have tuned it after you go back to stock.
Tunes CAN ruin warranties if its ruled that it cause the failure but having a tune does not simply ruin the warranty. The tune can be removed, and no dealer has the equipment to tell if you have tuned your car if you flash it back to stock before you take it in for work/warranty work. if your ECU was sent to ford then yes, they may be able to see it was tuned at some point, but with the tools available at dealerships there is no way to tell as long as you have removed the tune before taking the car in.

If you are SMART, then having a tune is fine and you shouldnt have issues.
But if you show up at the dealership with your tune on the car and the flasher in your glovebox then yes, its a possibility they could deny coverage on issues. Even then, they have to prove that it caused the failure/problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts