Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
leichtspeed:

Yes, the install was really that easy. I assembled everything right away right out of the box, and I just kept the two things that plug into yout stock harness seperate. Then, I thought of where to mount the ballasts...which was a PITA...There really isn't anywhere to mount them...other than where I put them. I saw another thread where they were mounted by the battery, and the other one was mounted by the pass headlight. But, it didn't look right to me. After that was all said and done, I connected the two harnesses, and put the ground and pos onto the battery, and they fired right up.

Ska:

The headlights appear to be aiming more so down...but alot of people (like my friends) are complaining that they're too high. You can adjust the aiming of them. there are two little allen wrench tabs that you can move left or right to adjust the vertical height of the bulbs.

·
Banned
503 Posts
that car looks familer...arnt u the cat pushing like 20,000 POUNDS OF BOOST! OMFG! MAGNAAAAAAAAAAAFLOOOWWWWWWWWWWW WITH A TAC-O-METERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!

lmao, dont ask (inside joke from taco bell in town on saturday night lol) good times

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Nightm4re said:
So is that legal or not?
^^^Great question...and the answer in a nutshell...
NO, they're not legal.
HID's are only legal in properly designed housings,
and that's exactly why SlammedZX3WI's friends are complaining that they're aimed too high.

From this site:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal.
They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations.
They're illegal in the US and Canada.

The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—
that is lens, reflector, bulb...the WHOLE shemozzle—with optics designed for HID usage.

But just putting an HID bulb where a halogen one belongs is bad news all around.

·
Registered
354 Posts
very very bright, looks good though

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
^^^Great question...and the answer in a nutshell...
NO, they're not legal.
HID's are only legal in properly designed housings,
and that's exactly why SlammedZX3WI's friends are complaining that they're aimed too high.

From this site:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about.

HID's in halogen housings don't work. That is why your friends are complaining they are aimed too high. Everytime you drive by someone, it appears to them your high beams are on. Unless you put different reflectors in made for HID's, you are going to be making a unsafe driving condition for others on the road.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about.

HID's in halogen housings don't work. That is why your friends are complaining they are aimed too high. Everytime you drive by someone, it appears to them your high beams are on. Unless you put different reflectors in made for HID's, you are going to be making a unsafe driving condition for others on the road.
Thank you! One of the most annoying things are these kind of "ghetto rigged" HID systems. Oh, I'm sure the kit is great. I looks very well put together and all of that. However, that housing is not made for an HID. HID's require a projector of some kind, to cut off the light, so that you don't blind/piss off everyone else on the road.

Don't be surprised if you come out of the movies or something and your lights are smashed in. Happens quite often around here.

Simply thinking about other drivers before you do your next "cool" mod will result in a much better, safer car.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its not that you must have a projector with HIDs, its that the housing needs to be designed around the HID bulb being used. There are plenty of cars and SUVs that come from the factory with HID reflectors...the Toyota Prius comes to mind, as does numerous Acura and Lexus models, the Mercury and Lincoln versions of the Fusion and the Mercury version of the 500.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
bright...i like them...i wonder how they would look in a projector...

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
more focused looking atleast...maybe more expensive looking

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thats love bro, the car looks cool though

·
I'M BACK!!!!
1,825 Posts
you are going to get bright lighted alot and if you were coming at me i would have to turn my svt hid highbeams on and burn your retinas out of your head- (all svt hid guys know what im talkin about) but anyway good luck with that

hint-buy projector housings and you will be good

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I love those lights except when I am looking at them coming at me. Then I usually curse the driver who has them. You too will be silently cursed by many drivers....

·
☼
7,494 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this even without projector housings.

Why? I'm tired of only seeing 10 feet infront of me, and there are no projectors out for the 05.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts