Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I don't understand what this is, but I have a titanium with the 401A premium package and it's supposed to have a "reverse sensing system" according to Ford's website. So far the only indicator I've seen that this exists is when I put my car into reverse I get a message on the LCD behind the steering wheel that basically asks On or Off for the reverse sensing system (it's on). No beeps when I get close to anything in back, no indication that it's actually working. Please tell me the reverse sensing system is more than an LCD message? Maybe it was never enabled via the dealership or something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The beeping that you hear is the backup sensing system........the beeps come faster as you get closer to hitting something. Once it flatlines you should def stop as you are very close to hitting something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry i missed the part about no beeps in your message............if it's not beeping when you are close backing into things and it says that it is "On" on your LCD display, then you should probably call you dealer as it sounds like it is not working properly.

Otherwise it just does as I said before and beeps to alert you when there is an obstruction close behind you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sorry i missed the part about no beeps in your message............if it's not beeping when you are close backing into things and it says that it is "On" on your LCD display, then you should probably call you dealer as it sounds like it is not working properly.

Otherwise it just does as I said before and beeps to alert you when there is an obstruction close behind you.
What iGaF said, it won't sense low-rise curbs and such as the sensors are on your bumper.(They're the three hole looking things) The option you see in your dash is to turn it on or off it will only start beeping if you get close to something. It will not beep if you're backing up and there is stuff 10 feet away from you though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The holes on the back bumper are "filled in" so I'm guessing it's not enabled? Does anyone have a picture of what they'd look like?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So they arent supposed to be a lens? This is just a pic I found on the web, but it looks like mine. Where I would think a lens would be is just a plastic circle:

Is that normal and the problem is maybe just software?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So they arent supposed to be a lens? This is just a pic I found on the web, but it looks like mine. Where I would think a lens would be is just a plastic circle:

http://i.imgur.com/HaUdC.jpg

Is that normal and the problem is maybe just software?
afaik, that is exactly how they shud look. The parking sensors don't work by light sensing but by using ultrasonic waves so they don't need a lens. It must be a software problem
<correct me if i'm wrong>

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you have this on a Ti it should beep if close to something. Mine does it each time I back out of the garage. If it isn't beeping take it to the dealer and see what is wrong. There should be four pick-ups on the back bumper. I have them on the front bumper too but I have the parking tech. also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nevermind I guess, as a final test I had my daughter walk back and forth behind the car and it beeped this time(don't worry I didn't back over her :p). Why it didn't beep when I backed towards parked cars I don't know, maybe it was just bad positioning.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nevermind I guess, as a final test I had my daughter walk back and forth behind the car and it beeped this time(don't worry I didn't back over her :p). Why it didn't beep when I backed towards parked cars I don't know, maybe it was just bad positioning.
Lol, glad to hear you didn't run her over!

It really doesn't start beeping until you start getting relatively close, maybe 4-5 feet or a little less in practice. I think because the car is o short, especially in the hatch, I feel like the car is closer to something than it really is, and the beeping doesn't start until a little bit after I expected to start beeping. The front sensors in mine actually do detect parking curbs, and I thought that was pretty cool. If you have the backup cam you can enable visual ques in that is show a green, yellow, or red light on the screen in the area of the object (right, center, left).

·
Registered
882 Posts
You have to be *close* for it to start beeping. I'd say within 2-3ft.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I can see how this can be nerve wracking. I'm lucky to have the camera and the green, yellow and red lines to supplement the audio warnings. Otherwise, I find it really hard to judge distance when reversing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The low position on the '12 Focus Reverse Sensing system can be tricky. I find that my RSS picks up on curbs leading to "false positives" on obstacles while backing into spaces. My moms RSS on her Freestyle doesnt pick up on curbs and seems to be more accurate overall.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can see how this can be nerve wracking. I'm lucky to have the camera and the green, yellow and red lines to supplement the audio warnings. Otherwise, I find it really hard to judge distance when reversing.
I found the sensors in my Explorer very useful... haven't had an occasion where I wished I had them in the Focus though.

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts