Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have this 2013 ford fiesta sport 1.6L A/T.
At plain or small inclined slopes, the reverse mode is working.

But when I try to approach steeper terrain and initiate reverse, it appears that the car could hardly do reverse or not at all but instead go straight.

And then I went to a plain terrain road and reverse gear again, and it works fine.

Eventually I just turned the car in the opposite direction and simply drive forward the steep terrain and initiated PArk.

This event concerns me. Can anyone give a technical advice on why this occurs or could I be doing something incorrect.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
We have no way here of knowing what automatic trans comes in those cars. Sounds like reverse is slipping there.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Maybe Hill Assist is on?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
In some (or most) vehicles, reverse is geared higher than first gear. In other words, backing up a hill would be sort of like trying to start driving forward up a hill in second gear. Not a perfect analogy but hopefully you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry, disagree on that one.

Reverse is normally the lowest gear avail..

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Sorry, disagree on that one.

Reverse is normally the lowest gear avail..
Gear ratio for Focus 6-speed auto is listed as 3.92 in 1st versus 3.51 in Reverse so it is in fact geared lower in first than in reverse.

Have to ever tried reversing at top speed? I wouldn't suggest it but most cars can really go in reverse.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Not everything has 6 speed though, in most all cars the reverse IS lower than first gear. The norm for most.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gear ratio for Focus 6-speed auto is listed as 3.92 in 1st versus 3.51 in Reverse so it is in fact geared lower in first than in reverse.

Have to ever tried reversing at top speed? I wouldn't suggest it but most cars can really go in reverse.
There goes THAT ASSumption, odd gearing could explain some of the DCT shudders in reverse we hear about at times.

Weird

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are you shifting into R while ON the hill or trying to climb the hill in R??

If trying to shift on the hill, could it be that the trans is at an angle where it can't develop the line pressure to change gears?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts