Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized this morning that my reverse lights are not working on my 05 focus that i'vs had for about 3 weeks.My buddy mentioned that the reverse lights on his 05 focus saleen don't work either.I checked the fuse(#53 for a manual tranny according to owners manual) on my focus and it's good.I havn't had the time to check bulbs yet just seems strange that both would be out so i' thinking that it's something else.Can anybody point me in the right direction of what to do next other then check the bulbs

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What is a ZX3?
Is that a hatchback that has an umbilicle with a wire harness inside that goes to the hatch?
I used to have a wagon
Any way if you have an umbilicle, there seems to be common instances of wires, breaking,shorting or open up

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi BROX33,

If you are unable to determine why your reverse lights aren't working, you may want to consider having it diagnosed at your local dealer, as they will be best able to provide a solution. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Have a great day!

~Natasha

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
It's power from fuse #53 (which you've checked), gearbox reverse switch (on/off), rear lamp bulbs and associated wiring (Green/orange and green/black wires).

You can check that power is getting to the switch with a multimeter. (TerryB has given you a good link.)

It's unlikely both reverse bulbs have failed at once but it is one of those lights that often go unnoticed until both are out (like the front side marker lights.) You can also check for power at the bulb sockets if the bulb filaments looks OK.

Modern car electrical circuits don't get much simpler than that. Dealers must love these type of jobs; easy to diagnose and correct. [:D]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just checked the diverside bulb and it was fine had my with put it in reverse while i held my volt meter plugged into where the bulb goes
and it read .24 volts.I'm sure it's supposed to have more then that right?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Your sure its fine? Sometimes the filament on the bulb can look intact but the bulb is still defective.

The very first step is to replace the bulb and see if it works. If not then further diagnosis is warranted.

However since you skipped this step and went right to the electrical diagnosis, assuming your probing the correct wire with your voltmeter you are correct in that 1/4 of a volt is not nearly enough. The bulbs in the socket are 12 volt bulbs. Seeing as you are only getting that much voltage to the rear leads me to the switch. Its probably blown and only allowing a very small amount of voltage through.

If you'd like to diagnose further the next step would be to get to the switch (under the drivers engine mount) and probe those wires. With the trans in neutral the switch should have battery voltage into one wire and 0 voltage out of the other. In reverse you should have battery voltage out of each one. If not then the switch is bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts