Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have 2003 ford focus powered by zetec-se 1.6liter, with 4F27E automatic transmission. It's have 119,000km on it.

I'm troubleshooting problems with 4F27E auto trans, it doesn't reverse sometimes and mostly it engages reverse very harshly (like someone hit my car) only when accelerator is pressed or after some time.

My solution at the moment is to press brake by my left foot and from right foot press the accelerator until rpm read 2000rpm and then shift the lever to reverse. then it engages like it should normally do. Some times this also doesn't work.

It also shift harshly from 3-2, 2-1.

can someone help me is this electrical, solenoids, or mechnical related problem.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
This is def mechanical.

It sounds like you have a bad pump. Thats why you have to rev for it to build pressure fo rit to shift into gear, and why its harsh.

This can also be caused by very dirty tranny fluid, or your magnet is not picking up metal debris and its clogging the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks focusguy87.

Can this also be caused by low fluid or restricted cooller?
Yes! It could also be caused by using the wrong filter inside the pan or a filter that is not installed correctly. Have you hit the botom of the pan on anything lately? A dented pan can cause this. There are about a dozen other posssible causes but they are not so easy to check. One could be a weak pump. Another could be wasted clutch servo seals, another could be faulty valve body, and the list just goes on... Check the fluid level first then check all lines coming into and out of the trans. Make sure none are pinched or kinked.
Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys, I got it fixed.
Here what was wrong with it the mechanincs told me that it had bad oil pump which causing the harsh/no reverse problem.
and a piston (I don't know which one but most probably servo piston) but it solved the harsh down shifting from 3-2/2-1.

There was no problem with valves and valve body.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
good thing you got it fixed, why'd it take the better part of a year? lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread. I have a 03 zts with the same issues. No codes either. Have to rev in neutral to 3000 rpm and then put the car in reverse for it to back up smoothly. If not it slams into gear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts