Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a superchip custom tuning performance chip and it said that it would raise the rpm's to 7500 but when im on the track it still cuts off round the stock which is around 6000. is there any way to get rid of it or will i have to deal with it?

·
Registered
891 Posts
i would deal with it so u dont stay at redline too long.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
^^^WTF???

You would have to deal with superchips. The rev limit is one of the parameters they set. Unless you have a handheld unit and you can chage yourself.

What did you get exactly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got the sct chip made for the spi. the only difference i can tell is it idles at 1 grand now and there is a little better throttle response but thats it. do i need to get a handheld unit because the chip was $300 and if the handheld one is better i will send it back and get the handheld one. i race circle track on dirt and i dont know if that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
$300 for a small difference sounds like a product I am NOT interested in ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i agree. i got it from focus sport and i figured it would give me the power that i need but i advanced my cam 2 degrees and that seemed like it helped.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've even heard good things about that chip ... but never had any firsthand experience with it ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks yall. maybe i didnt clean my computer good enough before i put it in. i appreciate it

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't get the fuss over raising the rev limiter. I mean, It only raises the RPMs that the limiter kicks in. It doesn't decrease the danger of engine damage due to overrevving. For example, say your stock SPI will fry a piston at 6800 RPM. Your stock 6000 rev limit is there to prevent this. Now say you install a chip that makes the limiter come in at 7200. What happens when you reach 6800? You fry a piston. Bear in mind these are just numbers that I pulled out of the air but the theory is the same nonetheless. An automotive engine isn't just some wonderous magical device. It is a precisely engineered machine, with many subsystems that must all work in harmony to function properly.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why do you want to use that high of RPM's? The 8 valve motor makes all of it's power between 3000-5500 RPM's. You would put down more power if you up shift rather then try to drive it as if it has mad vtec. The valves would start floating at 7500 RPM's anyways.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What about new cams, though?

Doesn't the rev limiter make a difference then?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts