Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
He said he was at wide open throttle, "went to shift into second" and the power quit.

Sounds like a rev limiter to me.

Where's the "red zone" on your tach?
U might be right, just depends. And around 6500-7000 is what it shows stock?

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Doesn't the power band drop significantly in the mk3 after roughly 6.5k rpms anyways?
Nope, pulls hard to/past 7k with zero mods. Keep in mind, when maximizing acceleration you want to shift just after power peaks over to drop back into the rpm level that keeps the average power under the curve at a maximum.

[edit] The green line is the speed cut in 4th gear. Other numbers are to the factory limiter in 3rd gear.[/edit]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Who evers dyno that is if you will have the WOT fuel lowered below 3500 it will help a good bit , 15 AF is to high

Tom
Tom, this doesn't really go with this thread, but in your post could you explain/link what you are talking about? I looked up WOT (wide open throttle), but I would like to understand it. 15AF? air flow?

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
If you Google Air Fuel Ratio (afr) it should give you some more info. 14.7 is stoichiometric (perfect burn, light loads only) and the lower you go the richer (more fuel). The closer the number is to 14.7 when under a load, the leaner the mixture is.

There's so much more information about it, but that's a quick and dirty. Direct injection engines are able to get away with a leaner burn than was required in other engines due to the added cooling of injecting directly into the cylinders, which was the whole point of rich mixtures back in the day.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Who evers dyno that is if you will have the WOT fuel lowered below 3500 it will help a good bit , 15 AF is to high

Tom
Thats my dyno, pre-tune... waiting for temps to come down a bit to get comparable after numbers.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
U might be right, just depends. And around 6500-7000 is what it shows stock?
I'm not trying to make a big argument about this BTW (just in case there's any misunderstanding).

The sudden cut off of power comment reminded me of the feeling mine would give at RPM/speed limit. Different from older cars with a "soft" rev limiter & it wouldn't be much use for traction control. Brake application for TC feels different, I'm not sure at what point power may be cut.

Asking about the rev limit on the tach is because earlier models didn't have any markings for that, and I don't know if any current ones do. Makes it easy for someone to hit the limit without knowing that they're there.

·
Registered
985 Posts

This is what mine shows but i think it cuts out at 6750 stock. It shows like it should be able to go to 7k tho. now it goes to 7350 with the tune without issues tho.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OK, so they gave a red zone warning starting at 6,500 with a firm "No" at 7,000.

Interesting with a limiter at about actual 6,800.

I wasn't sure what was there, since the turkeys didn't do that with mine & others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I have a question about the rev limiter. I have a 2014 Focus SE 5speed manual. I have read that the engine is limited to 6800 rpm. The other day I was racing a bit at wide open throttle and went to shift in to second gear but suddenly the power to the wheels ceased. Is this what happens when I hit the rev limiter? Thanks for your help, Im kind of a noob.
I have the same car and i wanted to know if it has a rev limiter without having to go past redline

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
I have the same car and i wanted to know if it has a rev limiter without having to go past redline
In the 5 speed limiter is about 7000 on the Auto its at 6500 with my Custom Tune I can raise the Limiters and much more

Tom

21 - 32 of 32 Posts