Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a question about the rev limiter. I have a 2014 Focus SE 5speed manual. I have read that the engine is limited to 6800 rpm. The other day I was racing a bit at wide open throttle and went to shift in to second gear but suddenly the power to the wheels ceased. Is this what happens when I hit the rev limiter? Thanks for your help, Im kind of a noob.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds like the rev limiter is what you experienced, bit of a shock eh?

A "soft" limiter that cuts spark intermittently isn't as much of a shock, but since that dumps unburned fuel into the CAT it isn't the usual type these days. (to prevent damage)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yep thats the stock rev limiter, get a tune and you can have it set as high as 7200 rpm and itll feel like a normal cars revv limiter

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Generally the revlimiter is hit when trying to race and in first gear.. The engine revs up so fast you do not have time to realize you are about to run out of revs!

you really do not want to do this on purpose much.. But once in awhile is not going to be bad.

True you can have the rev limit moved upward.. though doing so you then take a big risk in damaging your engine. the valvetrain can only move so fast.. that is the point of the rev cutoff. to STOP you from damaging the engine by over revving it.
You can still overrev your engine (and thus damage/destroy it) by downshifting it into over rev situation. though I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

Anyway when the engine cuts out near max RPM that is the rev limiter saving your ass. And your engine. [race]

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Generally the revlimiter is hit when trying to race and in first gear.. The engine revs up so fast you do not have time to realize you are about to run out of revs!

you really do not want to do this on purpose much.. But once in awhile is not going to be bad.

True you can have the rev limit moved upward.. though doing so you then take a big risk in damaging your engine. the valvetrain can only move so fast.. that is the point of the rev cutoff. to STOP you from damaging the engine by over revving it.
You can still overrev your engine (and thus damage/destroy it) by downshifting it into over rev situation. though I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

Anyway when the engine cuts out near max RPM that is the rev limiter saving your ass. And your engine. [race]
^This. It's a safety to save the engine additional wear. Don't be worried about having hit it, but don't make it a mission to hit it every time either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently acquired a brand new 2014 Focus SE auto through work. What is the Rev Limiter for this car. Mine, while in park, is set to 3500. I am wonder if this is an OEM setting or something that was changed by the Employer before releasing it to me?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Nem

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Sounds like you hit the torque management feature. Without turning off traction control, my car will completely kill the throttle (seen in data logs) for 2-3 seconds after a hard 1-2 shift, even if I haven't gotten close to the rev limiter.

Tom and I did 10-12tunes to help alleviate it and its much better but still happens when playing around if I forget to turn off traction control.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nemisus - OEM feature to prevent folks from damaging the engine.

Rev. high with no load is BAD for an engine, they prefer that you don't turn it to scrap by accident or on purpose.

2,500 rpm limit in gear with the brake applied, release brake for "Drag" launch. (Clutch disengaged at a stop with brake applied)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sailor,

Thank you very much for that feedback. Since this new car is a fleet vehicle I just had to ask. Either way it makes perfect sense.

Cheers

Nem

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
I dont know how much higher the RPM can safely go , I do know at 7300 the engine is still pulling good

I think a good header , 3 inch Exh , larger TB , good intake manifold , good tune , good intake and this engine will free up a good bit of upper HP and TQ

Tom

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like the rev limiter is what you experienced, bit of a shock eh?

A "soft" limiter that cuts spark intermittently isn't as much of a shock, but since that dumps unburned fuel into the CAT it isn't the usual type these days. (to prevent damage)
or he shifted to 2nd and spun tires= TC on= No power.

·
Registered
985 Posts
These engines are safe to 7300 rpm with no issues and whats nice is they keep pulling to 7300

Tom
yup mine pulls to 7350 after Tom's tune.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I dont know how much higher the RPM can safely go , I do know at 7300 the engine is still pulling good

I think a good header , 3 inch Exh , larger TB , good intake manifold , good tune , good intake and this engine will free up a good bit of upper HP and TQ

Tom
Hey Tom,

After tuning other peoples cars that have a K&N or Steeda intake system, do you think it would benefit me to get one? I keep debating if I should get one but keep going back to the "hot air" under the hood=no performance gain+bad responses in this heat... I guess what I am trying to ask is do you see a difference in the way car pull up to the redline with an intake and stock airbox+filter?? I cant decide on my next mod!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have picked up a few intakes and want to do some testing to see what works best , right now I am running a drop in

Tom
Please let us know. Can u tell anything from datalogs?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Doesn't the power band drop significantly in the mk3 after roughly 6.5k rpms anyways?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
or he shifted to 2nd and spun tires= TC on= No power.
He said he was at wide open throttle, "went to shift into second" and the power quit.

Sounds like a rev limiter to me.

Where's the "red zone" on your tach?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts