Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to replace my in tank pump, but would rather put an inline and a fuel cell in the back for racing. i know i need the pump, cell, return lines, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but what regulator, and what obstacles will htere be b/c of the computer? please help, i already have the pump and cell ordered and need to get this set up in the next week or so. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it is possible, but you'd need to run a direct power line to your fuel pump so that it's always running at 12+V. I believe you can order a fuel pressure regulator from europe, as that the RS focus uses a return style fuel system. it's not really worth it to do the conversion, and there's no gains

·
Registered
73 Posts
You could use a fuel rail from a Pre-98 Contour (it is a return style system). With that fuel rail, you can use a few different aftermarket Mustang fuel pressure regulators. You may also be able to retrofit your fuel pump with a Mustang one. Heck, a Contour fuel pump module may drop right in to your gas tank.

I currently have a Aeromotive 13102 fuel pressure regualtor and a BBK-1607 255lph Mustang fuel pump in my '96 Contour. They were pretty simple bolt-ons.

You should ask Tom about how to disable the fuel pressure sensor, and fuel pump controls on you PCM. it may just be a few simple switches.

Just trying to help my fellow Zetecers.

HTH,
BP

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
ButtonPuncher said:
You could use a fuel rail from a Pre-98 Contour (it is a return style system). With that fuel rail, you can use a few different aftermarket Mustang fuel pressure regulators. You may also be able to retrofit your fuel pump with a Mustang one. Heck, a Contour fuel pump module may drop right in to your gas tank.

I currently have a Aeromotive 13102 fuel pressure regualtor and a BBK-1607 255lph Mustang fuel pump in my '96 Contour. They were pretty simple bolt-ons.

You should ask Tom about how to disable the fuel pressure sensor, and fuel pump controls on you PCM. it may just be a few simple switches.

Just trying to help my fellow Zetecers.

HTH,
BP

yeah what he said

·
Registered
73 Posts
LOL! Thanks sleepyboy.

I should be a more accurate. You could use the following Zetec fuel rails:

1995-1997 Ford Contour
1995-1997 Mercury Mystique

Like I said earlier, if you can get Tom to program out the fuel pump stuff in the PCM, running the return line is pretty easy.

If you get close to maxing out your injectors, you can just up the fuel pressure a little with the adjustable regulator.

HTH,
BP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a steeda fuel rail, an alunimum fuel cell on the way, and a vortec fuel pump. i am lacking the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator. i am trying to get rid of my fuel tank as it is in the way. whats toms phone number? i would like to call him and discuss this and lots more if possible. i won't be running a turbo though, so odn't get your hopes up tom. :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i found toms number, imma try and call him today. maybe he'll chip in on here soon thouggh, and anwser all our questions as always, lol!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's a few pics for ya. Check out my grimey Zetec...

You can see the supply line run to the left side of the fuel rail. The return line comes out from under the FPR. (the shiny red aeromotive unit)

Here's a close-up of the supply/return lines. You can kinda see the quick connects and the Schraeder valve. (They're hidden under my crankcase vent filter hose.)

Nice top shot without the intake. Better view of the quick connects and Schraeder valve.

Full shot of everything. My grimey engine bay.

I hope this help you guys out. [thumb]

BTW, I also have a link somewhere that converts the quick-connect to a AN fitting.

BP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i have the steeda rail with an fittings on each end, had i not already bought that, i would have bought those! those look a lot easier to install. what are you doing about the computer? and THANK YOU for putting up pics! any more tips? what kinda fuel cell are you running?

·
Registered
73 Posts
dwnshfter said:
what are you doing about the computer? and THANK YOU for putting up pics! any more tips? what kinda fuel cell are you running?
I'm not doing anything. I have a Contour that came stock with a return style system. [8D]

Like I said earlier, you'd have to contact somebody like TurboTom to see if you can re-program your PCM. That way you could get rid of your PCM controlled Fuel pump and instead go with the return system with the adjustable regulator.

dwnshfter said:
why is your alt. blue?
Because it looks cool. [thumb]

I'm going to have the vavlve cover done in the same metallic blue. Kinda like this...

Even though my engine bay currently looks like crap, I'm working on it. [:D]

BP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts