Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SE with manual hvac controls. Anybody have any idea if the "automatic" controls can be retrofitted? I imagine the panel itself has the same connections as the manual control panel. I'm wondering if the "brains" are in there too and they can just be swapped. I'm sure some coding would be required to make the Sync aware of it if it were possible.

·
Registered
519 Posts
This one comes up on nearly every car forum I've ever been a member of, and the answer is always the same. I'm sure it can be done with the correct parts, but there is always more than one expects between a different console, harness, various temp sensors, actuators, and such. The cost would certainly outweigh the benefit to most, but if you really want to do it, and have an extra thousand or two laying around you could be the first, and have something cool to show off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know I considered doing this with my previous car, VW, but once I saw the depth of the project I didn't consider it being worth it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The standard IP has very nice manual controls. High quality material and feel, plus its the first car I've been in that lets you spit the difference between two adjacent fan settings.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know I considered doing this with my previous car, VW, but once I saw the depth of the project I didn't consider it being worth it.
Everyone on SaabCentral that asked about this was advised to trade their car in for one that came with ACC.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
936 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The standard IP has very nice manual controls. High quality material and feel, plus its the first car I've been in that lets you spit the difference between two adjacent fan settings.
That's actually very common ;)

Everyone on SaabCentral that asked about this was advised to trade their car in for one that came with ACC.

Posted via FF Mobile
It would likely be cheaper this way. As was posted above, the amount of work, wiring, configuring, and parts would make this a huge project. The manual controls are decent on these cars... Even if it got working, I doubt the auto would work for long, and Ford would refuse to cover any part of the HVAC.

It's unfortunate to those in the US who got the SE because they wanted the 5MT but now many are trying to upgrade to the features they wanted and would happily have paid for. [poke]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, pessimism.

Quite frankly, more complicated things have been retrofitted to far more complicated cars. I have no doubt it would cost some money to get the parts but my guess (and really what my query was) is that it would only be a few key components and some wiring. All the components are the same, there's just some extra sensors and switches and probably some coding on the ECU (which I know nothing about how Ford does theirs).

Basically, nobody has a clue what the differences are between the trim panels, the software and the wiring. Guess I'll have to wait until a full tech manual is published.

It's unfortunate to those in the US who got the SE because they wanted the 5MT but now many are trying to upgrade to the features they wanted and would happily have paid for. [poke]
Yep, that's the long and the short of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Focus uses a modular HVAC system developed by Visteon

this means that the core HVAC system is common between the auto and manual systems.

futher more the actuation of the HVAC system is fully electronitc, where the knobs are not mechnaically connected to the HVAC compneents in the Dash.

IMO you would need to replace the dash panel with the Auto version, install the temperature sensors, and replace the blend plenum behind the dash.

but you will not have to replace the basic HVAC system behind the dash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,
No way to do that. You will need all wiring, HVAC unit (because of fan motor is different) and control panel.

This is manual climate control unit,

This picture taken from back site of electronic controlled aircondution unit.

As you seen, wiring is differend.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The ac/heat controls look like they came off a '96 windstar. Have you seen any aftermarket dials that would look good in the Focus?

·
Registered
138 Posts
your best bet would probably to find a wrecked one and swap all the console.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts