Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the gear markings on my shift knob are almost completely faded away. I'd like to see if I could get the clear cap off the knob so I could clean or repaint the markings. Anyone ever done this? Or have any suggestions how I may go about this? I'm thinking some heat to loosen up the bond, but I'm worried about melting or hazing over the clear resin cap.

Hand Light Black Blue Camera lens

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I actually figured it out pretty quick. I ended to using a hair dryer to heat up the knob then I used a thin razor blade and carefully worked it down between the knob and the clear cap. I VERY gently started to pry it up being careful not to mar the knob or cap (still ended up with a very small knick in the knob though) and keeping heat on it the whole time. Once every separated I used my fingernail to clean the adhesive from me back of the cap and scrape away any residue while being careful not to scratch away any of the pattern. Whatever color used to be there was long gone and all that was left was basically a stencil of the shift pattern on the back of the cap. Played around with a couple ideas on what to do but landed on using a piece of paper as a backdrop behind the pattern. The picture below is just a white piece of paper to show how it looks but before I glue it back down I'm going to replace it with a purple piece to match the rest of my interior theme. As far as reattaching it, I figure I'll just use a little bit of super glue or epoxy being careful not to get any between the paper and shift pattern.

I know it would have been easier just to go grab a knob from a scrap yard or something (plenty of them floating around online too) but I'm cheap, and I enjoy little mini projects like this. All in all, it took about 30 minutes and looks SOOO much better! I'd recommend trying it if your shift knob is similarly faded.

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a couple more pictures for clarity.
Table Fluid Wood Gas Tableware

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tool Wood Gas

Hand Gesture Thumb Finger Nail

Then to recolor it I just took a piece of paper and stuck it behind the pattern. no glue on the paper because I didn't want it to bleed into the visible portion. I left spaces around the edge of the cap to apply the glue to and just sandwich the paper in between. I also left the old glue on the knob side so the cap wouldn't sit too low and to hold the paper a little better. Then just had to align it back over the knob and apply a few drops of glue around the outside.
Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wood

Hand Automotive lighting Finger Gesture Automotive tire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts