Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my car while it was running and I saw water coming from the back of the car. I got under there and looked at it and the water is leaking out of the front of the resonator. I think Ill just have it deleted if it doesent do anything. What exactly does the resonator do? What will it sound like if I have it deleted and leave the stock muffler there? I do plan on putting in a flowmaster or magnaflow soon though.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Resonators capture the high pressure sound waves emmited from your engine which then meet low pressure sound waves in the resonator, this process cancels out quite a large portion of noise that your engine exhaust gases create. Most Resonators are designed to work at a level where the engine produces the most noise therfore making it more efficient.

That is what a resonator is for, as for what your exhaust will sound like after you remove the resonator is a different story but i would say slightly louder than before and maybe a bit more ricey.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This totally normal. I was freaked out at first when i saw it. There are little holes on the middle resonator that allow water to escape. Water is caused by condensation, that's normal.

Don't worry about it. You can cut the lunchbox (the last resonator closer to the bumper) and put a pipe in it's place. Don't put a flex one though, it will rust and as someone else said "knock of a van with a bunch of kids' :)) That quote was about rusted exhaust but still.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine was damaged from a rear end collision prior to my buying it. I had the resonator replaced with pipe. It is a little louder, but very tolerable. I can barely hear it with the windows up and radio off. That's saying a lot too, because I absolutely HATE the sound of 4 cylinder cars with loud exhaust. The rest of my exhaust is factory, btw. I've noticed zero negative affects from doing this, in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, its not supposed to be like this, It is where the exhaust connects to the resonator, actually at the joint, I can feel the exhaust actually coming out of the holes

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts