Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to remove the second cat and put a straight pipe after my header...I knew it was going to be louder but it is now stupid loud. I mean it sounds kind of cool if it was strictly a track car not a dd. My question now is what would be best to quiet this thing down?? I have an OBX header and an MBRP 2.5" cat back. I was looking at the FSwerks stealth muffler which I might be able to cut and weld to the MBRP, I'm waiting to hear back from FSwerks on the length of the stealth muffler to see if it is possible, or would I be better off getting a magnaflow resonator? Trubendz has an 18" resonator with the flange already welded in that I was looking at. Would one be better than the other?

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
I have a flowmaster muffler with lunchbox delete and mine doesnt sound that loud :-\ interesting...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a flowmaster muffler with lunchbox delete and mine doesnt sound that loud :-\ interesting...
Do You have a header installed?
It makes the Car insanely loud....I need to quiet down my zetec ZX3 before I even consider doing the header on my 07 ST.
To the OP:
It seems like the resonator may be the way to go to take out some of the buzz and higher pitched frequencies.
Changing the muffler will change the tone.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
to tell ya the truth I dunno lol i had them change out the muffle and chop off the resonator :) and run pipe all the way back... :-\

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do You have a header installed?
It makes the Car insanely loud....I need to quiet down my zetec ZX3 before I even consider doing the header on my 07 ST.
To the OP:
It seems like the resonator may be the way to go to take out some of the buzz and higher pitched frequencies.
Changing the muffler will change the tone.
Will the resonator actually quiet it down significantly?...I definitely want to get rid of the ricey tones that it seems to have but I definitely quieted down a lot.
If I went with this:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.co...09-FOCUS-fdsh-MAZDA3-FRONTPIPE-W-fdsh-/Detail

with the 18" resonator, would that tone it down enough? it's a 4" round resonator, I know magnaflow makes a 5" & 6" round resonator as well. I just want to make sure that the 4" will quiet it down enough before I go and spend more money

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
a 6" might be tough to fit in the tunnel, try the 4" and if its still bad you can always go to a local shop and have them add in another

·
slow
1,734 Posts
On my autox car, 2003 2.3D with cossie intake manifold, FSwerks header and 2.5 inch exhaust, I’ve had the following history.

Step 1, initial exhaust install put on the FSwerks header and flex, and planned to bolt up the borla 2.5 inch exhaust from trubends. Borla oval muffler did not fit with the pzev gas tank. Decided to weld in a small 14x4 round magnaflow muffler where the borla was, how loud could it be? Start the car up, ZOMG straight pipe, one trip around the block and parked, time to rethink this.

Step 2, research tells me I can add a long muffler to quiet things a bit more, added a 22x4 round muffler in the straight section immediately after where the exhaust bolts to the flex pipe. So this plus the other small one made things bearable. Drove the car like this for two years, mind you never as a DD, only to autox events, and when I wanted to annoy the general public around town. The car was still loud, and loved to backfire on overrun.

Step 3, decide that driving the loud car is a pain for the 2hr+ autox trips. Replaced the 14x4 muffler with a 14x6 in the same location. Big difference here, the car went from annoyingly loud to bearable. Wish I would have done this sooner.

If I were to do this again, I would see if a 20x5” round muffler would fit in the first location, then run a 14x6” round in the second location to make a quieter car. Note that all the mufflers I mention above are magnaflows straight through design with the perforated tube and packing. From my experience, going up in diameter had a bigger impact over going longer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mbrp has a muffler and resonator already on it but the resonator seems to be small in diameter. I ordered the magnaflow 18x4" and am hoping that having the magnaflow resonator up by the flex will quiet it down and give it a less ricey tone.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
That's what I went with when I had my 4-2-1 header. The sound on acceleration was really nice, but the constant drone at cruising speed was unbearable. It will fit in the tunnel just fine.

·
Registered
716 Posts
^^^^^ X2. I have 3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts