Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it has to do with sound. Usually from the factory they want the car to be as quiet as possible.
ya, kinda like the resonator for the exhaust. i took mine out and replaced it with a straight pipe then put a high flow muffler, so now there is really no muffling on my exhaust and it sounds amazing! but wait, how could the air intake be soooo loud, it needs it own resonator lol!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My CAI on my car now is louder than the stock intake. Sounds loud when I start my car in my small one car garage. My brother always jokes with me asking whats wrong with my car, why's it sound like that.
It makes sense why its loud. Didnt you put the intake up to your mouth right when you got it and make an engine noise threw the pipe? its like yelling into a trumpet or somthing it makes the sound more midrange tinny sounding or somthing. The stock stuff is plastic which does nothing to help sound, the new one is metal and quite a bit bigger.

Tom played around with a few tunes he sent me and man a few of em were SUPER loud. When it started it sounded like a jet engine. The last one he removed that long loud intake startup and its ALOT better now. Its not near as quiet as it was with the resonator but nothing like it was when i first put the intake on either.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The intake resonator is merely an open space for sound waves from the intake side of the engine to bounce around in and cancel themselves out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts