Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to upgrade my stock bulbs into all LED, will I need a resistor? I know old fashion blinker setup used to not work with just a standalone led and needed a resistor, does anyone have a LED as a blinker? And if I have to buy a resistor, anyone knows where I can buy some built-into the bulb resistor? Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Only place I can think of is Radio Shack. I know they sell resistors and stuff, but I don't know about ones built into bulbs.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Usually, the vendors who sell LED bulbs have something to put in series with the LED bulb to give your car the proper load so it doesn't do the 'hyperflash' turn sig.

I found this:

"LED brake/tail lamps may not work with some thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, often HEAVY DUTY flashers will

LED bulbs may cause some newer vehicles to indicate a bulb is burnt out (because of their low power consumption). Some cars indicate this by increasing the flash rate of the turn signals, some turn on a bad bulb indicator.This can be remedied with our Load Resistors wired across the turn signal bulbs to simulate a filament bulb load. We have these available by our LED turn signal bulbs in our online shopping cart

LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them

Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly"

Source

If LED bulbs require:
6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors

You won't find those at Radio Shack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts