Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed the oil about 5 times in 31 months so I always have to look up the method to do it. I have the Ti model with push button start so the method calls for pressing and holding the start/stop button for 2 seconds then pressing and holding the brake and gas peddle and after 3 seconds the reset in prog prompt is displayed. You then have to wait another 25 seconds for the reset to complete.

OK, first of all this process is needlessly complicated and should be a simple menu option with a confirmation (2-step). The other thing that seems to happen is after the 2 seconds of holding the start/stop button, I remove my finger from the start/stop button then press the brake and gas peddle but the engine turns over even without the start/stop button pressed. This method is, well there's no other word for it, stupid!

Again, what would be better is to navigate to a menu option to reset the oil monitor and once selected a second prompt pops up asking you to confirm th reset. There should be no reason to wait 25+ seconds, a couple seconds is enough just like the trip meter reset.

Brian

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
OK, first of all this process is needlessly complicated and should be a simple menu option with a confirmation (2-step). The other thing that seems to happen is after the 2 seconds of holding the start/stop button, I remove my finger from the start/stop button then press the brake and gas peddle but the engine turns over even without the start/stop button pressed. This method is, well there's no other word for it, stupid!

Again, what would be better is to navigate to a menu option to reset the oil monitor and once selected a second prompt pops up asking you to confirm th reset. There should be no reason to wait 25+ seconds, a couple seconds is enough just like the trip meter reset.
I never actually hold down the start button for 2 full seconds. I just press the button without pressing the brake to get the car into accessory mode, then press the brake down fully (not immediately after releasing the start button) and then press the gas pedal down fully and wait for it to say it's complete. I agree it takes longer than it needs to, but it's just 30 seconds every few months.

Never had the car start while performing it. [dunno]

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've changed the oil about 5 times in 31 months so I always have to look up the method to do it. I have the Ti model with push button start so the method calls for pressing and holding the start/stop button for 2 seconds then pressing and holding the brake and gas peddle and after 3 seconds the reset in prog prompt is displayed. You then have to wait another 25 seconds for the reset to complete.

Brian
does it actually say to hold the push button for 2 seconds? From what ive read its just put it in accessory mode which is just pushing the button like any other button. the gas and brake together and wait.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
So, you want a system where it could be reset accidentally & you don't even know it?

It's intentionally complex/time consuming so it can't be done by just anyone stepping on pedals & hitting buttons.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you want a system where it could be reset accidentally & you don't even know it?

It's intentionally complex/time consuming so it can't be done by just anyone stepping on pedals & hitting buttons.
WOW, you don't read very well do you...

I said you would go into the menus, select reset, then you'd be prompted to confirm -- if you have a problem with that you should be denied the use of any sharp edged tools. Why is a 30 second confirmation needed?

But, on the odd chance that you managed to get into the menus, select oil monitor reset, then select confirm and hold in for 2 seconds, by accident, you think we should ban such a process in favor of the stupid one now used?

OK, how about only permitting this reset option when the car is off and not moving.

Brian

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There are plenty of things where holding the button, pressing something in a set series of steps over and over is required. thy adding your own new TPMS? What a PITA.
Ford does this so idiots have to go to the dealer instead of doing stuff themselves. [sleep]

·
Registered
125 Posts

On one of my cars there was a button next to the fuse box. You pushed and held it for 5 seconds to reset.

I would think that it would be more likely to be accidentally reset with this weird pedal combination system.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confucius say "Wise is the man who does not insult moderator"
Not insulting the mod, just a little perplexed by the presumed need for a stupid reset process and the idea that a more reasonable reset process with confirmation and interlock (can't be done with engine on or car moving) would risk inadvertent reset. I doubt the actual reset process is any less vulnerable to accidental reset than the one I suggested.

And, if by chance you did accidentally reset the oil life monitor, no matter the process to do so, the car isn't going to die because of it.

I think Elizabeth probably has it right and the process is made stupid so folks go to the dealer for oil changes. Still doesn't make it right.

Brian

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No insult I'd worry about, personal comment on my part that it seemed like much ado about nothing.

Holding the button for a keyless type system is all that's "complicated" the procedure compared to prev. reset procedures of the type that were common BEFORE cars had any "menus" avail. at all. Key on, press & hold pedals for a reset was the first monitor reset procedure I remember seeing for Oil Life. It's as common as having to know that you can turn a cell phone on & off by pressing & holding the "end" key.

The only thing "new" for the keyless entry is the std. (for that car at least) method of turning it on without starting it.

Sticking it in a menu is actually more complicated & would vary by car model instead of being a universal procedure that can be used on all models.

Plenty of drivers that can't be trusted with sharp tools, won't comment about driving abilities.

grin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts