Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)

I finally had a friend replace the rear brake shoes.
Here is an image of one of the new rear brake shoes showing the chamfering.
Does this look like enough?
The brakes were not making any noise for about a month, but they are squealing again now.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Probably one or more ran out as that chamfer is not long enough. Mine are double that length. Why noise quit then came back, look at them again to see if the chamfer is gone on one. Mine also goes ALL the way down to the steel backing, you don't want to do it then have to do it again say 10K or 20K miles later.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
https://imgur.com/a/YLpvT03

The red circle is the corner that digs in, the flatter you make that angle, the less noise you get.

The yellow line is about how much I take off, to last the entire life of the shoe, you can go to maybe 1/8" above the steel backing plate, about where max use will have you junking the part. Notice that my yellow line is somewhat flatter than the angle originally there, flatter is better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Would a regular auto shop be willing to chamfer brake shoes like that, or is there some kind of safety law that would prevent them from modifying the brakes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
More likely to be 'we don't do that because breathing the dust can cause cancer'............

That likely would depend on the shop culture.

They may well insist on selling you shoes that 'make no noise at all' until of course they do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
After almost two years, I've finally been able to try to fix my 2004 ZX5 rear brake noise.
I took my car to a mechanic who has his own garage. He chamfered all four rear brake shoes, yet the squeaking noise persists.
We are both at a loss. His final suggestion to me was to try ceramic brake shoes.
Detroit Axle sells ceramic brake shoes for the Ford Focus on its website. They are $30 a piece.
I've never purchased anything from Detroit Axle before.
Does this seem like a reasonable thing to try ?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
It might work. The noise comes from cast iron drums running on semi-metallic shoes in most cases and the similarity of the two materials helps make the noise. Two materials of the same hardness tend to gouge into each other. Ceramic is harder (or can be softer) than either one and may not dig into it.

Have the mech look close at the shoe points where the shoe touches the backing plate that are supposed to be lightly greased, that grease will stop the noise too until it wears off in maybe 6 months or so. The vibration in shoe transfers to the backing plate and it is so thin that it resonates like a bell to make noise. Why Ford came up with a wonky fix of gluing weights onto the backing plate, they were supposed to deaden the resonation of plate and stop the noise but they did not glue well and kept falling off, noise comes back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks amc49. I bought the ceramic break shoes today and they are on their way.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts