Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is an off-the-wall question or not, but I anticipate having a new job in about 3 to 6 months, at which point I might be able to afford to do stuff to my 2003 Focus, which has a 2.3 liter PZEV engine.

Thing is, I don't have the time or energy to learn about and perform a bunch of mods myself. I'm wondering if y'all know of a shop in the SF Bay Area that could do the work for me?

I'm assuming no shop is going to risk running afoul of the law by installing stuff that's not smog legal, so that leads to my next question:

Does anybody make smog legal supercharger or turbo kits for this car?

And if not, what would be the best options if one wanted a noticeable power upgrade, but still wanted to pass California smog?

One last question: This car has at least 140K miles on it, and the engine doesn't feel quite as sprightly as it once did. I'm therefore worried that power upgrades might cause some old, tired internal parts to fail quicker. Might the best option be to have somebody build me a brand new motor and then drop it in? What kind of money does that usually take?

I know I'd be spending more than the car is worth, but this car has sentimental value.

Thanks for whatever suggestions y'all might have.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't know if this is an off-the-wall question or not, but I anticipate having a new job in about 3 to 6 months, at which point I might be able to afford to do stuff to my 2003 Focus, which has a 2.3 liter PZEV engine.

Thing is, I don't have the time or energy to learn about and perform a bunch of mods myself. I'm wondering if y'all know of a shop in the SF Bay Area that could do the work for me?

I'm assuming no shop is going to risk running afoul of the law by installing stuff that's not smog legal, so that leads to my next question:

Does anybody make smog legal supercharger or turbo kits for this car?

And if not, what would be the best options if one wanted a noticeable power upgrade, but still wanted to pass California smog?

One last question: This car has at least 140K miles on it, and the engine doesn't feel quite as sprightly as it once did. I'm therefore worried that power upgrades might cause some old, tired internal parts to fail quicker. Might the best option be to have somebody build me a brand new motor and then drop it in? What kind of money does that usually take?

I know I'd be spending more than the car is worth, but this car has sentimental value.

Thanks for whatever suggestions y'all might have.
I have the same car as you and I've looked into and exhausted all options for a power boost.

Short of replacing the engine, wholesale, with a Mazdaspeed3's engine which has the same 2.3 block but 280 hp and 300 lb-ft thanks to forced induction - you don't have any smog legal options.

However, keep in mind that you can always opt for a CAI and exhaust to get all sorts of growly noises and a tune to make use of those mods. The only smog legal CAI aka cold air intake, is the Cosworth CAI which can be found on these forums under buy and sell. It also depends on which model you have ie manual or automatic as the smog tags associated with the Cossie CAI depends on the transmission.

For exhaust, you can check out umpteen varieties and the best place to start checking this stuff out is under the power modifications sticky.

I don't know of any Ford Focus specific shops but I know a guy through these forums who's helped me out right from the word go with whatever I've needed to do.

As for a tune - check out Tom's Tune or FSWerks.

I personally have only done a K&N CAI, lunchbox delete and sadly, no tune.

Instead of looking for more POWAH, I've looked at handling, tires, and all sorts of other things that make my car stick to the road like glue. My car is no longer PZEV rated but the truth is, the quest for power is not easy in California, especially in the bay area.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask any other questions you may have.[headbang]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts