Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my torque arm because I think it needs to be done.

I"m having problems getting the vertical bolt out. It un-threads from the captive nut no problem and comes out about 1". Then it just binds solid and I can't undo it. If I put anymore force something will break. I can thread it in and out of the captive nut no problem but it won't go any further. For now I did it back up and keep on driving it.

Any tips or tricks? All I can think of is to undo as much as possible then cut it and drill it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's seized in the mount itself. Lots of rust penetrant overnight maybe for a few nights. Then if not lots of heat and frustration.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Torque Arm?

To help get the penetrating oil where it needs to be, brign it down, spray the bolt (even perhaps put anti seive on the threads if you can) tighten it, and repeat.

If you have access to an impact wrench I would use that, your less likely to brake something.

But still no clue on what a torque arm is. front suspension? There are control arms, knuckle, tie rod end, strut pinch bolt, ball joint, sway bar. rear suspension? there are camber arms, toe arms, trailing arm, lower control arm, sway bar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Torque Arm?

To help get the penetrating oil where it needs to be, brign it down, spray the bolt (even perhaps put anti seive on the threads if you can) tighten it, and repeat.

If you have access to an impact wrench I would use that, your less likely to brake something.

But still no clue on what a torque arm is. front suspension? There are control arms, knuckle, tie rod end, strut pinch bolt, ball joint, sway bar. rear suspension? there are camber arms, toe arms, trailing arm, lower control arm, sway bar.
Torque arm is the dogbone engine mount. All it does is control the torque from the engine. It keeps the engine from rotatting. That's why a poly dogbone mount reduces torque steer and makes shifts feel better cause it reduces how much the engine can move/rotate in relation to the car

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Torque arm is the dogbone engine mount. All it does is control the torque from the engine. It keeps the engine from rotatting. That's why a poly dogbone mount reduces torque steer and makes shifts feel better cause it reduces how much the engine can move/rotate in relation to the car

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
never heard it called that before, dog bone or lower mount are usually what its called most often around here.

If it unthreads and comes out an inch and then gets stuck, its probably binding on the weight of the motor pushing on it. First time i did mine, i only had the front of the car on jack stands and when i undid the bolt gravity rotated the engine towards the rear of the car and pushed the motor tight against it.

Get a good pry bar and try and rotate the engine forward/back from that general area and see if it relieves the pressure and lets you pull the bolt. Not the most fun thing to do on your back with the car on jack stands tho

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm talking about the "dog bone" under the car.

The bolt is not seized. I can undo it about an inch and then it binds solid (I'm talking about the vertical bolt). I took the horizontal bolt out first so there shouldn't have been any engine tension on it.

I'll have to crawl under there and try it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like I said. The bolt is not seized to the subframe it is seized to the mount where it passes through and once the rubber gets taught it won't turn anymore. Or if it really isn't then there's enough rust built up that the bolt won't fit through the hole on the bottom of the subframe once it reasches that point. I have seen both.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Well there is a nut on the other side that has some tight clearance to the steering rack.

Got a wrench on the nut? use an impact and spin that sucker. its likely binding on the metal bushing insert.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Its probably from rust/corrosion build up on the outer end of the bolt threads. I would try to get a lot of penetrating oil onto the end of the bolt and then try to work it out even if you can only get it to go an additional 16th of a turn each time then screw it back in. Thread out then in. Keep working it out/in but once it binds dont put more force on it just screw it back in. Working it like this should eventually work it out.

Paul

Reactions: Stangfire

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine did the same thing so I went at it with a fairly large wrench and finally it broke free, or so I thought. It actually sheared off so I was left with a portion of the bolt still stuck in the weld nut. I was able to work the torque strut mount off and thought I was going to have to drill out the remaining portion of the bolt. I thought I would heat it up with a propane torch a bit to soften the steel prior to drilling. I gave it the heat for a good three to five minutes and that must have been enough to break the rust bond because when I started to drill it, it spun itself out the rest of the way. Lucked out on that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts