Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the hits just keep coming. I am the sole owner of a 2012 Focus SE Hatch. At about 56k the TCM went belly up and I had the clutch assembly and TCM replaced under warranty. Fast forward to now, my car has 136k on the clock and recently started making this whirring sound while driving.

Well I took it to a shop I trust and he diagnosed it as internal to the transmission. Looks like Ford doesn't even rebuild these things anymore. So I had two choices. Replace with a used tranny from the scrap yard with a 1 year warranty for $2,000 or buy a new transmission from Ford for $4800.

Holy shit this sucks because the car is worth maybe $3,000. But it's my DD so I have to have it running and I can't replace the car for anywhere close to $2k. God I hate these transmissions.

if youtube embedding isn't working:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I see. I was looking and realized I was wrong, some were like 500-700. So that may be the price of the part, but could be that it's the time involved. Sorry you are in the situation. Hopefully the new one will be better.

My car is a 13, and I think they replaced the clutch packs at around 23K, and maybe did some software updates. I'm now at almost 90K and knock wood it's going strong. I am going to be paying on the car for another 3 years, so I'm hoping it holds up. I wouldn't mind getting 300K out of the car. I guess while they are in there may not be a bad idea to replace the TCM with a new unit and new clutch packs to get it as good as you can since it will already be out of the car.

You might look into Toms tune. I haven't used it, but see where guys say it seems to help smooth things out.

If your friend is as good as you say, I wonder how much it would be to rebuild the current trans? They are supposed to be a stick shift inside from what ford told me about my 13.

I feel for you though, my car before this one was a 2006 dodge stratus. The thing broke the crankshaft around 150,000 miles. But had also had transmission problems long before that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. I was looking and realized I was wrong, some were like 500-700. So that may be the price of the part, but could be that it's the time involved. Sorry you are in the situation. Hopefully the new one will be better.

My car is a 13, and I think they replaced the clutch packs at around 23K, and maybe did some software updates. I'm now at almost 90K and knock wood it's going strong. I am going to be paying on the car for another 3 years, so I'm hoping it holds up. I wouldn't mind getting 300K out of the car. I guess while they are in there may not be a bad idea to replace the TCM with a new unit and new clutch packs to get it as good as you can since it will already be out of the car.

You might look into Toms tune. I haven't used it, but see where guys say it seems to help smooth things out.

If your friend is as good as you say, I wonder how much it would be to rebuild the current trans? They are supposed to be a stick shift inside from what ford told me about my 13.
The shop I am using won't rebuild them either. It's nuts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I suppose you do get a year warranty. Beat the snot out of it?

In all seriousness, one guy here I saw said he basically beats his car. I would say from experience, my car seems to like being driven hard. I try to drive to where if I feel it slipping, I hit the gas to force it to the next gear or let the gas off/hit the brakes to force it to release the gears. But it seems like if I try to drive a granny, the trans will stutter and act weird. If I drive it the other way, it seems smoother.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like Ford doesn't even rebuild these things anymore.
That is incorrect. Every single internal component is available and Ford dealers are required to "rebuild" them under warranty unless the cost to replace the unit is cheaper than repairing it. Some Ford dealers will opt not to "rebuild" units when the customer is covering the cost though.

They are supposed to be a stick shift inside from what ford told me about my 13.
Internally, it's essentially a modified MMT6 transmission.....

Here's a decent image of what the DPS6 looks like internally....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts