Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start out i have a 2000 zx3. The fuel pump was replaced before i got it by ford but the pump is dieing again. On right hand turn the car surges, as well while accellerating sometimes it will jerk a little and will stall ocassionally.

So this time i figure ill pick up and SVT fuel pump and drop that in instead(assuming it will fit). Now ive never relpaced a fuel pump on the focus tomorow but im not mechanically retarded by any means.

Am i forced to drop the tank or is there an access port under the rear seat? I really hate droping tanks becasue rust makes it not fun :(

Can i use a svt fuel pump inplace of a ztech pump to solve this issue once and for all?

·
Registered
134 Posts
you got to drop the tank, its not too bad, shouldn't have any problems with rust tank is plastic. not sure about the svt pump. You should change the gas filter more often. dirt screws up the fuel pump. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i know, i just changed it. I assume it was never changed before so i did it. It was not too bad but it was noticable dirty and the blow test showed it was blocking flow slightly.

OH and i know the tank is plastic, its the crappy straps im worried about....

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
downloader said:
You should change the gas filter more often. dirt screws up the fuel pump. Good luck
Unfortunately, the underbody filter only filters the gas after its gone through the pump.

There is a pre-filter that is part of the pump, but you have to remove the pump to get to it anyways, and I don't think its replaceable without replacing the entire pump.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you can replace them but the pump is already damaged from what i can tell so it will be getting all done at once.

Still trying to find out if i can use the svt pump. I assume i can.....but i would rather know for sure before i do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts