Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm having some issues and I think it might be a bad ECU. Long story but I've had everything checked out and nothing is mechanically wrong.

What are the requirements for replacing the ECU? (early 02 ZX3 Zetec MTX)

-Do I need to get the same ECU code?
-Does it need to be the same model with same options? (or just be from a zetec)
-Does it matter if it was from a manual or automatic?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If it truly is the ECU:

You'll most likely need to get it reprogrammed by the dealer.

For starters (no pun intended) you'll have PATs issues. Keys need to be programmed into the new ECU.

The power train control module is part of the ECU so you need an automatic for an automatic.

The dealer should be able to help you here with the right code.... wow, did I just say that?

Looking at your 'name' and 'what you drive' did you do and engine swap?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a_2000_se

- No engine swap. I no longer have the SPI, sold it a while ago, just didn't feel like making a new accoutn. Check my signature, it's the 02 Sangria Red ZX3. (SPI only came in the sedans)

It's really that deeply connected to the car? I thought it would be a little bit more independent.

I just found this that says the PATS needs to clear before communicating with the PCM http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975
... sounds to me like you should be able to just swap it out without affecting the PATS, do you know this for sure or just speculating?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
a_2000_se is not speculating; you will run into problems with PATS. (Otherwise, I'd steal your car by breaking into it and swapping in a junkyard ECU.)

Quote from your link:
"Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle powertrain control
module (PCM) before it can be used to start the engine."

If you change the PCM, your old keys won't work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
possibly if you get a new pcm from a salvage yard and take the ignition from the same car should work.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
And what of the keys? ^^

I'm not finding any thread you've posted where we could have a say on if it really is an ECU issue or something else.

So I'd like to know what it's doing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^^^ And if you were fortunate enough to come across a 100% compatible/functional PCM/ECU with at least one matching key......

It still may not start because of 'other' theft prevention features keeping someone from doing just that - "swapping out a ECU/PCM and ignition switch" and then just driving off.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And what of the keys? ^^

I'm not finding any thread you've posted where we could have a say on if it really is an ECU issue or something else.

So I'd like to know what it's doing.
Its a stock 02 ZX3 MTX w/74K

I will sometimes get a CEL (once about every thousand miles or so and it lasts for anywhere from 5 minutes to a day then goes away by itself), when I plug in a scanner the car will freeze the scanner. Tested with two different scanners and then verified they both worked on other cars. I also tried plugging in a ScanGuage2, it will turn on and work for a couple minutes then flicker and shut off.

I checked the fuses, they aren't blown... but I never replaced any of them (maybe that's it?)

Sometimes I can get two out of three CEL codes before the scanner freezes- P0000 and P0136 when going for the third code it freezes the scanner every time.

P0136 is usually the second o2 sensor... I've replaced the sensor, no luck and then put an 02-cheater on, no luck. The other thing for that code would be low fuel pressure which is usually the 00-02 fuel pump on it's last leg... I tested the Fuel Pressure and its normal and consistent. I also tested the ignition, voltage, intake temp, and water temp, normal and consistent numbers there too. (maybe I should put another sensor in?)

Everything else under the hood is a-ok, except for a quick chirp from the accessory belt when starting it up (usually from using a non Ford/Motorcraft belt, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with anything).

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Being the car itself doesn't die, I'd say it isn't necessarily and ECU issue. Sound more of a DLC connectivity issue.
That could be as simple as a loose pin on the DLC ... some connectors are tighter than others, a tight one could have easily pushed a pin out, maybe the SG is a loose connector and the pin touches slightly.
If all the pins on the DLC look good and are secure than I'd go to the ECU connector and check those pins.

If your gauges work properly it won't be a SCP issue. The gauges are piggy backed on the SCP with the DLC.

I'm not exactly sure what ECU pins are for the DLC, I can't find the diagram I want. I'll post it when I find it though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What is P0000 ? (not p1000 ?)

Do you get any DTC codes on your instrument cluster test mode - d262 is a SCP communications error.

I don't know if a SCP error here is only shown when communicating with the cluster or when occuring anywhere in the network.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts