Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... I really like the Double Din fitment in my SVT, but the radio is going south on me.... The volume knob does not work well, and it will not load more than 1 cd....So....
I am looking at replacement options that meet the following criteria:
1) Double Din
2) able to still use steering wheel controls
3) Ipod ready....
4) Still able to use exiisting amps and sub from the audiophile package
5) preferably NOT touch screen...
6) Able to play mp3 cds

I know that this is fairly exacting, but if anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it -

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can just get a regular radio and use the adapter plates then you have a little compartment under the head-unit.

1. most double dins are touchscreen.
2. They do make devices that are supposed to work with the steering wheel controls but i have yet to find one.
3. Almost all head-units today are Ipod ready. just need to plug it in through the USB port. or audio input.
4. The existing subs and amps. should work just fine as long as you wire in the new harness correctly.

Definitely use http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZPjriX1jCt7/

They will provide you with everything you need to install what ever head-unit you purchase from them free of charge. If you buy a headunit from they give you the wire harness for your vehicle, The mounting hardware and face plates, they also provide the antenna adapter. oh and did i mention 24 hour support when installing it. when you find a head-unit you like link it to here. and tell us what you eventually want to do. like put in a bigger sub-woofer or add amps to your speakers.

Ever since i bought my kenwood head-unit i have i fell in love with it. I hooked up my own subwoofer and amp it was super easy. Installing the head-unit was a breeze as well especially with crutchfield. they give you an instruction booklet specific to your vehicle.

Sorry if i rambled if you have any other questions or i didn't answer one of them well enough let me know.

-Mike-

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
1. I cant think of a single double-din that isnt touchscreen. Why you dont want one is beyond me, they are great!

2. 90% of the produced headunits have steering wheel compatibility, it does however require a special device to make it work which costs another $50 or so. I have an Axxess ASWC.

3. 90% of headunits have usb on them nowdays, and id say most all of those are ipod capable.

4. You can make the Stock sub work with any aftermarket headunit, it just takes an extra RCA Cable.

Honestly, unless you want to spring for a double-din touchscreen, you are probably going to be better served with a single-din.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Do you know of any adapters to make the steering wheel controls in the focus work? i haven't found any. My headunit is compatible with steering wheel controls just haven't found the adapter.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Crutchfield sells the Steering Wheel Audio Control Adapters, I bought them for my car [:D] when I bought my HU from them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
crutchfield has the adapters and JVC makes a real nice double din that isnt a touch screen. its around $180 on crutchfield and the site will tell you it doesnt fit your car, but i have seen it installed in a how-to on this forum somewhere (included with how to make the sub work)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Crutchfield sells the Steering Wheel Audio Control Adapters, I bought them for my car [:D] when I bought my HU from them.
I looked on there and it said there were none that would work on my car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.... will a Mach 1 radio from an '03 Mustang GT be a good replacement for my Audiophile radio? If so, how much of a pain would the wiring be?
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes, i said in my post, it says no double dins fit in the car, but i have seen the one i recommended installed in a how to on this site.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Ok.... will a Mach 1 radio from an '03 Mustang GT be a good replacement for my Audiophile radio? If so, how much of a pain would the wiring be?
Thanks,
Richard
I have both in my basement, they mount differently and I think they use different harnesses.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I looked on there and it said there were none that would work on my car.
Axxess ASWC, thats what im using, it works great.. fairly cheap too. Only gripe was instructions were a bit vague when it came to wiring it up.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Just so you know, double-DIN headunits usually don't fit in the Focus. We have that Ford proprietary "DIN and a half" size.

A "PAC SWI-X" can be used to interface your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts