Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much of a pain in the ass is it i called around some places to see what labor would be and one place said they have to pull the axeo to take it out but that seems like a huge pain. so can this be done easly at home or should i just take it in.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So, is this on a duratec or a zetec?
(note that you posted this in the zetec section)

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the zetec, no, you don't have to pull the axle out. i never have. can't say for the dura

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zetec is what it is and im pretty handy with a wrench and a ratchet. the guy must have looked up the dura. i tried to do that in my 07 and i think that one you have to pull it its like in the worst spot.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Zetec is easy I think, lol.

Best way is to pull the 3 bolts on the P motor mount out and slide the engine forward. That gives you plenty room to get the Alt. out.

*for some reason automatic cars are a tighter fit than manual cars.

Remove the red plastic cover from the alternator stud to remove the positive cable. If you try to remove the 10mm nut on the post you'll break the post (most times). There are 3 tabs bent over holding the nut in place.

If you can slide the engine forward enough you won't need to remove the shield on the fuel line but you will have to move the PS res and coolant tank out of the way.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Zetec is easy I think, lol.

Best way is to pull the 3 bolts on the P motor mount out and slide the engine forward. That gives you plenty room to get the Alt. out.

*for some reason automatic cars are a tighter fit than manual cars.

Remove the red plastic cover from the alternator stud to remove the positive cable. If you try to remove the 10mm nut on the post you'll break the post (most times). There are 3 tabs bent over holding the nut in place.

If you can slide the engine forward enough you won't need to remove the shield on the fuel line but you will have to move the PS res and coolant tank out of the way.
how i did mine. loosened the passenger side motor mount and slid the motor foward. the first time i did it, it was a complete BITCH!! took me and my dad a better part of the day to do it. replaced it again (pos autozone alt crapped out) and did it by myself and only took me 2 hours.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
It can come straight out in 12 mins with a bunch of turning to find the right way out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i have done 4 of them and it is hard cus u have no room thank god i have small arms so i can get in there, when u do the replace check ur plug and make sure it isnt bunt and it is snug cus i lost an alternator to a bad plug i barely made it home from a long trip

·
Registered
528 Posts
It can come straight out in 12 mins with a bunch of turning to find the right way out.
This. When I did mine I just move the coolant tank, the power steering tank, the evap canister outta the way, and there was JUST enough room to get the alternator out. Its tight, so ya gotta twist it and move it a certain way to get it out. Took me about an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts