Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so im looking to replace the shock/struts and springs and sway bars. is there anything else i have to replace. car has 145,000 miles on it

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
You shouldn't need to replace the swaybars or the springs. You could replace the swaybar bushings though and the front and rear endlinks (assuming you do have a rear bar)

Other than that I would also replace the strut top bearings.

So new dampers and bushings all around and you will be pretty happy. Springs and swaybars shouldn't wear out really.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
jetrinka is right the spring an sway shouldn't need to be replaced.....unless you deside to do a sport suspension the i would recomend useing a chain an a couple of hooks an chain the spring's to the chassie so the dont pop out an hit you in the [nutkick]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Uhm. You may need to replace the rear lower control arms.. Dependes how you go about things. If you take the LCA bolts out they will likely be stuck. The bushings get stuck to the bolts and its hell to get them out. You cant just get new bushings either. The whole LCA is needed, and the odds are you'll need new bolts as well. Thats a good $200 right there for two new LCA and bolts-nuts for both.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Oh and thats not even the shocks/springs/sways that you want to replace.

To avoid having to go through the trouble of the LCA problem you just need a spring compresser.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
jetrinka is right the spring an sway shouldn't need to be replaced.....unless you deside to do a sport suspension the i would recomend useing a chain an a couple of hooks an chain the spring's to the chassie so the dont pop out an hit you in the [nutkick]
Or just use a jack to support the arm from underneath.. lol. But you honestly don't have to replace the springs as they don't really wear out. So don't worry about this.

But to replace the rear shocks isn't hard at all. Its a nut holding the shock stud up top in the trunk and one bolt going through the base of the shock on the bottom. Real easy. The front struts get a little more hard. Just buy a good spring compressor and they are pretty easy. Oh and be sure to loosen the top retaining nut a half turn or so before you take the struts out or its gonna be a bear to get it loose with the strut totally outta the car.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Dude i did that method an one almost shot out an hit my friend in the face it's better to be to careful an not enough.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Thats strange. I have done my suspension three times and one other guys exactly this way and never had a problem. I just place the base of the jack almost directly under the bolt that holds it to the main assembly and never had a problem.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
when i was droping it down the middle of the spring was bending towords the outside of the car...........then it shot out of the whole (wheel well) an it missed my friends face by about 4 inch's then hit his dad's van an oooooooooo was he pist.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
huh thats really strange. ah well.

Back on topic though you shouldn't have to replace the springs so don't worry about removing them. Unless one is broken.... But you would know. lol

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
when i was droping it down the middle of the spring was bending towords the outside of the car...........then it shot out of the whole (wheel well) an it missed my friends face by about 4 inch's then hit his dad's van an oooooooooo was he pist.
dam, should of used a spring compressor to avoid that.... owell what done was done.. lol

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i had an issue awhile back with the focus and hitting the side wall on the highway(longstory) so i sidelined the focus for awhile and drove my celica and my girls focus. first thing i noticed was the endlink on one side was broken(same side that hit the way) so i replaced both then took it around the block and noticed the same side with the broken end link would squeak(spring issue im guessing) when turning left or going over bumps also noise coming from it when driving guessing axle. im gonna try to take it to the shop to see what all needs replaced but i have new front control arms,half shafts and sway bars(parts for my other focus project) so i just want to get the focus back to top shape

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I bought mine from the dealer. $70 each which isnt bad. I was able to get "upgraded" ones that have a piece of metal welded on top where the sway bar mounts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts