Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, im just a little frustrated at the moment.

i went to pepboys to get some stuff for my car, just general maintanence stuff. so i got an oil filter (Fram) oil (mobile 1) and just a regular paper filter (also Fram).

so, the oil change went fine, then i was like, air filter time. guess not. whatever is in my car is some kind of airbox that i cant open. i think i remember reading a thread about this awhile back, but i cant seem to find it. i can even take this box out, but cant stick a filter in there. i have pictures of this too, just not sure how to get them on here for you guys.

the airbox itself has a little reset button on it, which doesnt do me much good since a friend of mine was messing with it and hit reset. to get the filter that i got, i looked in the book at the store, and got the one for the 2.3 PZEV, so it should fit. but looking at that airbox, it doesnt seem like it.

i've never not been able to find how to put a new filter into a car, and i feel bad about asking about it too. but if you guys could help me out, and tell me whats going on here, that would be amazing.

thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
well if it is the same as the 05/06 cars it is a sealed filter that you only replace it every 100,000 miles (im not exagerating i am serious.) a filter that has more dirt in it is more restricting, therefore it filters better. so in a roundabout way the answer to your question would be take the paper filter back to pep boys and have ford change your air filter at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
wow, 100,000 huh. i always thought that a clean filter was best for the motor though, like better gas mileage and performance.

maybe i should look into a CAI or something like that then huh.

anyone have suggestions? i dont want a race car, but just something that i can clean/replace the filter more often.

the stock box is definatly sealed alright, but i have an 04, seems odd that it would be like the newer ones, but i guess anything is possible if a car manufacturer is going to make sealed boxes like that at all.

thanks for the reply

EDIT---- i just found a linke to the Stealth CAI instructions for 05+ models with the duratec, and the pictures there are exactly like what i have. maybe i'll try this stealth CAI thing after reading for a bit.

so i guess i have an 05 motor......sweet.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Look on the side of your filter box - there's a clear plastic indicator with red and white stripes inside. That's how they tell if it needs to be changed. So if your living in an area without much dust you might make it a lot farther than 100K. OTOH when it needs to be changed it costs about $300 or so I hear...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one of my friends hit the reset on it, because he wanted to know what it did, and this is before i even knew what it did.

yea, im definatly trying this stealth CAI thing. but one thing i dont get about that is does the stock filter come out of this box? or does it just free it up a bit? i'll do this monday, hopefully it will work out alright.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The stock filter is non-serviceable. My guess is when you take it in to get replaced they just replace the whole box. When I took out my stock intake it just looked like a giant sponge inside the box.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
suggestions on a particular CAI? i've seen a few, but im new to this sort of thing. im looking to spend less then $200.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some of my friends are saying just stick a cone filter over the existing piping close to the motor. i could see this working, but how would water and stuff fair with it?
i could see taking out that box, putting a cone on, and then just letting the stock tubing the rest of the way down bring some fresh air to it. opinions?

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Here's the webpage for the Stealth CAI, read up on it and that should answer your questions. I've had no issues with hydrolock. The one FF that I know who did lock up his motor ran into a puddle that brought water up over the hood according to his description. Try to avoid those kinds of puddles with any CAI.

The filter goes on the end of the MAF, and the end of the cone rests on the plastic splash guard. I used a cheap Spectre filter from Autozone.

Stealth CAI

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but like, isnt the stock filter, the one that you cant replace, in that box? if the new cone filter goes on before the box, how does it help?

im sorry im not getting this. like i get how to do it and all, but im not sure how it helps all that much.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Sheesh. The stock filter is a freaking breathable foam unit inside the box that can't be replaced without replacing the entire box.

To install your Stealth CAI first remove the air exchanger and accordian tube inside the engine compartment. Then unbolt and pull off the MAF tube after removing the MAF wiring connector. Then jack the car safely, remove the driver's side wheel, remove the inner fender plastic, and then remove the two bolts holding the air intake snorkel that is fastened inside the fender. After that, remove the two bolts you can see holding the stock airbox in. There is a 3rd bolt you can't see, but due to Ford's brilliant air box design team- after the two visible bolts are removed you can pull straight back towards the rear of the car and remove the box without loosening the 3rd bolt you can't see.

Now put the fender plastic back in, put the wheel on, and drop the car off the jack. Take the MAF tube and locate the side without the threaded inserts. This is the part that was attatched to the original air box. Fit your cheapo cone filter on the end of this tube and check to insure it's tightened itself evenly and securely around the MAF tube. Spray filter with supplied oil. Wipe excess on your pants or shirt, or your partner's shirt- bottom of her pants if she's female. Install new cheapo Spectre cone filter/ MAF tube in original position. Note that the cheapo filter rests just slightly on the plastic splash guard underneath. Bolt in the remainder of the original parts, don't forget to hook that MAF back up, bingo you're done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whynotthinkwhynot said:
Sheesh. The stock filter is a freaking breathable foam unit inside the box that can't be replaced without replacing the entire box.

so heres the part im not getting, isnt that foam piece still there? isnt that what we want to get rid of? i get how to install it, i just dont get the idea behind installing it. wouldnt there be 2 filters then?

·
Registered
107 Posts
five-speed, 2POINT3ESSTEE

so heres the part im not getting, isnt that foam piece still there? isnt that what we want to get rid of?
NO, NO, NO !!! You remove from the MAF tube, the stock filter box (foam piece), and the long air intake snorkel that wraps itself about 3/4 around the wheel well inside the fender liner.

NOW, I think I see what you are concerned with: the box you see from the top of the engine compartment, about 3-5 inches from the throttle body is NOT the foam filter. The foam, non replaceable filter attaches to the MAF tube which you remove and replace with the cone filter.

You said:
i get how to do it and all,
then if you look at the pictures included in the install instructions, you will see the cone filter "hanging" from the end of the MAF tube, down just above the splash shield. The cone filter attaches here replacing the stock filter which originally attached here.
The "stock" filter and snorkel tube get put away in your attic, or ..............

Again, as whynotthinkwhynot, said, follow the instructions for the install. As you follow each step, more and more will become obvious. Have your preferably 3 1/4 inch opening cone filter ready and put it on.

http://www.ineedawebsite.com/Blazin.../CAI/index.html

Improvements: I believe, BlazingCopper_ZX3, did a dyno test, and although maybe not totally conclusive for the filter only, improvements did happen. On mine, definite improvements in HP feel and gas mileage. A lot, no, but worth the minimal cost to implement.

Later,

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.